[SOLVED] Hit a bit of a dilemma during monitor choice with AMD/Nvidia GPU decision

JesseC123

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Hey guys, im building a new pc, I'm getting a 5900x (when available, hopefully snag one in 13 hours time?) and I pre-ordered a 3080 a few weeks ago, only to be informed last week that this card probably wont be in until early 2021. So at this point I've decided to wait until the 18th for the 6800xt release, and I will probably end up grabbing that if I can get my hands on it asap and cancel my 3080 order.

Just today I've purchased all my remaining pc parts apart, including the monitor, apart from the CPU, as I will be attempting to get the 5900x at midnight release? (not sure what time they are doing them tbh)

What i've just realised is I purchased a LG 27GL850-B G-sync monitor, with the intention of using the 3080 in the build. But it just came to me that if I get the 6800xt there would be no point in getting this monitor would there? Im not sure if there's AMD:G-sync compatibility these days but I wouldn't think so. In a bit of a pickle here because im not sure if I will even be able to get my hands on the 6800xt at release date. I would wait until I got the GPU to decide what monitor to get, but i've got an old 1080ti at home which I am going to use in the build until I get my new GPU for the meantime, so I will need a monitor for the time being anyway.

Any suggestions guys? Do I cancel this monitor as the order is still processing and just go a freesync/g-sync compatible anyway even if I do end up with the 3080? If so, what shall I look in to?
Appreciate any help :)