aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
Right so i am completely new to building PCs, creating my first one based on a lot of research and some nifty tweaks given by the tom's hardware community

Hours later, and many many youtube tutorials in, i have run into a befuddling problem i can't seem to find any tutorial or explaination for

My Corsair 5000D Midi-Tower claims it can support 12 fans; yet the only device i can find to plug the extra fans into, most tutorials refer to as the "PWM" at the back of the rig holding the motherboard, but it only has 6 available connectors

Am i missing something? is there another place to connect these? or was i supposed to buy some sort of splitter?

I have provided a link to the "PWM" in question, just incase it is relevant
View: https://imgur.com/a/eWXpOlW

Solution
The case "supporting" the fans is about how many can be physically installed, not how many also come with a PWM solution.

For example, my case supports up to ten 120mm fans if all areas are used. It has a built-in hub solution for zero.

The page for the Corsair 5000D explicitly says how many fans can be used with the included fan hub.

Untitled.png

For 12 fans, you're going to have to come up with your solution. The solution will come down to features, what your fans are, and the power specs of your individual fans and what your motherboard's fan connections support in terms of wattage.

It sounds complex, because it is; 12 fans is well into overkill range. And you start to run up on the limits of...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The case "supporting" the fans is about how many can be physically installed, not how many also come with a PWM solution.

For example, my case supports up to ten 120mm fans if all areas are used. It has a built-in hub solution for zero.

The page for the Corsair 5000D explicitly says how many fans can be used with the included fan hub.

Untitled.png

For 12 fans, you're going to have to come up with your solution. The solution will come down to features, what your fans are, and the power specs of your individual fans and what your motherboard's fan connections support in terms of wattage.

It sounds complex, because it is; 12 fans is well into overkill range. And you start to run up on the limits of individual PWM connections by this point.

Solution

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015

Untitled.png

It sounds complex, because it is; 12 fans is well into overkill range. And you start to run up on the limits of individual PWM connections by this point.

So would the best use of those 6 be to leave the 1 on the back as exhaust, use 3 to exhaust the top and 2 as cool intake in the front?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So would the best use of those 6 be to leave the 1 on the back as exhaust, use 3 to exhaust the top and 2 as cool intake in the front?

What fans are you using? What's your cooling solution for the CPU? What are your specs? There are a lot of valid configurations, but it's hard to get too specific without knowing what you're trying to cool.

Just personally speaking -- and this varies from person-to-person -- my preference is a slightly positive air pressure. My current configuration is three fans on the side intake radiator, three fans at the bottom, and two larger fans at the top for exhaust. I own cats, so given the inevitability of cat fur accumulating, a slightly positive environment makes the places it accumulates more consistent and predictable.

There are a million scenarios and a million reasons to do one thing or the other!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EN3K-eaVA

Again, there's no right answer here. Now, there are some wrong answers if you go really weird with the layout, but it's hard to do too badly otherwise.

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
What fans are you using? What's your cooling solution for the CPU? What are your specs? There are a lot of valid configurations, but it's hard to get too specific without knowing what you're trying to cool.

Just personally speaking -- and this varies from person-to-person -- my preference is a slightly positive air pressure. My current configuration is three fans on the side intake radiator, three fans at the bottom, and two larger fans at the top for exhaust.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EN3K-eaVA

Again, there's no right answer here. Now, there are some wrong answers if you go really weird with the layout, but it's hard to do too badly otherwise.

Alright thanks! i suppose i will try the 3 and 2 idea then maybe

I am using Corsair AF120's and my CPU cooling is a Noctua NH-D15; I'd like to use more fans but since 6 is the current limit before i buy radiators (only found out just how useful they are considered after my parts had arrived)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well, remember, radiators are very different solutions. Your Noctua air cooler is a very good one; I'd consider how well it's performing but you start considering swapping it for an AIO or a custom loop. Most AIOs won't be an upgrade; I use an AIO, but it's purely for aesthetic reasons.

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
Well, remember, radiators are very different solutions. Your Noctua air cooler is a very good one; I'd consider how well it's performing but you start considering swapping it for an AIO or a custom loop. Most AIOs won't be an upgrade; I use an AIO, but it's purely for aesthetic reasons.

Alright great to know, i have basically 0 interest in aesthetic so if it works i am more than happy; i looked at that youtube video you linked and i suppose I'm going 3 in and 3 out, as having only 1 fan on the top for a 4 in 2 out setup feels like it would be too little; also showed me a recommended that used this exact case, with these exacts fans - but only used the 2 stock fans and had 3 mounted at the top for exhaust, and it was performing at only 1 celsius worse... so i may have gotten fooled by marketing thinking i needed all of these fans, but you live and learn

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Alright great to know, i have basically 0 interest in aesthetic so if it works i am more than happy; i looked at that youtube video you linked and i suppose I'm going 3 in and 3 out, as having only 1 fan on the top for a 4 in 2 out setup feels like it would be too little; also showed me a recommended that used this exact case, with these exacts fans - but only used the 2 stock fans and had 3 mounted at the top for exhaust, and it was performing at only 1 celsius worse... so i may have gotten fooled by marketing thinking i needed all of these fans, but you live and learn

Yeah, one of the problems in this hobby is that what's fun and what is good aren't always the same thing, but people tend to mash them together too much.

Lots of fans are pretty much for aesthetics or for insane heat situations (or bad cases). If you're not doing it for the aesthetics and there's no reason to think that you have a heat problem (you made a very good choice with your case), it's more fun to use your PC rather than stress about fans.

If you want to see an awful case with 12 fans, this one is always good for a laugh.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OupiPZybyBE

(Steve Burke ripping companies that make bad products is one of the joys of this hobby)

You'll definitely be happier, I think, not dealing with 12 fans. Just getting my eight current fans, as a very experienced builder, installed and cable-managed and configured took longer and caused more headaches than the entire rest of the current build