Question Hit desk and broke laptop?

nrobidoux

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
I was playing a game and got rather frustrated. I pounded my desk's top with my fist three times and my computer's screen went to the blue smiley, "Problem with your PC... rebooting", etc. I rebooted several times. Sometimes there was a problem at boot. Sometimes not, but the blue screen reappeared... just after BIOS splash, several minutes after finishing boot into Windows, an hour after finishing booting.

I then got the message after turning my laptop on: "Checking for media presence ......" "No media found ......"

The display was blocky (large pixelated text) but it then proceeded to finish booting into my Linux partition where the display remained at low resolution.

One of the times I was able to boot into windows I did a errorcheck on my drive. It said there as no errors.

I just changed the boot mode in BIOS from "UEFI with CSM" to "Legacy" and that produced a result with I believe an attempt to boot off the NIC. I received an error: PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM." with mention of my NIC, selecting a proper boot device and checking the cable connection to the NIC.

I changed it back to UEFI with CSM and just got the "media presence" screen which eventually proceeded to a Windows splash screen (vs. the normal CyberPower PC screen) and I was able to boot into windows.... this time.

What can I do to fix this? Did I shake lose a connection? Damage HDD (even though "no errors found.")?

When it works... there is usually no indication of any issue... until blue screen appears. I haven't stayed on Linux long enough to see if it crashes there too.

My computer info:

CyberPower PC Fang HD8970 MS-176K
Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Kali

nrobidoux

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
I was eager to provide a complete update but I'll have to settle for a partial. Well... the HDD was dead when I woke up. I guess I managed to destroy it with the initial desk pounding. Lesson learned: Don't physically abuse your computer. I think most know that but now there is the lesser known: ... and apparently its immediate surrounding area. :)

I bought an SSD and was able to boot into Windows and switch over to Linux. I then dd'ed my HDD onto the SSD. I wasn't sure if this was the best course but I wasn't thinking much. (Alternative just get the files I needed ASAP.) But dd the entire disk should make life easy on HDD head movement.

I fell asleep and awoke to its completion. Even though I was able to boot into my HDD to do this process the errors were replicated on the SSD. Now both the HDD and SSD were giving me the "No media detected...." screen. Unlike before the HDD now never goes beyond it.

Downloaded a linux distro and out comes the USB stick, booted it up... The HDD never shows. The SSD does, however. It has been almost 24 hours because my network is at a crawl but I'm backing up what I can from it onto my NAS and will try the steps you mentioned after I perform a linux "boot-repair" to see if I can recover the disk and have it boot again. If not I'll just start from scratch.