[SOLVED] Hit my pc with my feet by accident: Now my PC turns off itself constantly at random moments

Jul 9, 2020
Hey everyone, Didn't know which segment I had to post this but I reckoned it's something to do with my RAM or motherboard... Hear me out!!!

Yesterday I was on my computer when I accidentally kicked my PC case (it’s placed under the desk). At that moment, my computer immediately turned off, and proceeded to restart by itself again.

However ever since that moment my computer would shut down at random points during my time on the computer, and usually, that time period of usage is fairly short. Everytime it shuts down my pc actually restarts itself, which brings me back to the login screen.

I felt that the cause is probably by a hardware issue since the cause was my accidental kick. Here are a few solutions I have tried:

1. Take out heat sink fan and CPU, clean it and place it back.
  2. Took out two 8GB ram sticks, cleaned and placed back in.
  3. Literally took out all parts and rebuilt the PC
  4. Reset CMOS by taking out the motherboard lithium battery.
  5. Have only one 8GB RAM chip inserted to see if one of the two RAM chips are causing the issue. Tried this process for both processors individually- still no luck (In fact, the restart happens even before I get to the log in screen)
Made sure all sockets, plugs, and lines are properly in (I’ve done this several times, no luck)

CPU: Ryzen 3600
MotherBoard: TUF B450-M Plus Gaming
GPU: GTX 2060 s 8GB/256 BIT
PSU: Corsair CV650 (80 Plus Bronze)
RAM: ADATA DDR4 2666(19) 8GX8 U-DIMM [8GB Ram, two of these in my set up]

Note: My PC is only three weeks old
Note 2: The restart process is abrupt; the screen suddenly turns back, and proceeds to start up like any normal PC

UPDATE 1: Tried disconnecting the reset switch- still getting constant restarts

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hope I can count on everyone of the tom's hardware community. Cheers!

Last edited:
Solution
You have a large chunk of metal that weighs quite a bit, stuck to the top of the cpu. It's entirely possible that your 'kick' bounced that giant chunk of metal and forced movement in the cpu below it. You can try a reseat of the cpu, check the socket for any bent pins etc, but yes, if you moved the cpu inadvertently then it's possible voltage went down the wrong way and messed up the cpu. Doesn't happen often, but can.

It's just as possible that that bounce caused data corruption in windows critical system file and thats the underlying cause.

Open up Start, select Command Promt Run as Administrator.
Type in DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
(enter) see if that works
Hey everyone, Didn't know which segment I had to post this but I reckoned it's something to do with my RAM or motherboard... Hear me out!!!

Yesterday I was on my computer when I accidentally kicked my PC case (it’s placed under the desk). At that moment, my computer immediately turned off, and proceeded to restart by itself again.

However ever since that moment my computer would shut down at random points during my time on the computer, and usually, that time period of usage is fairly short. Everytime it shuts down my pc actually restarts itself, which brings me back to the login screen.

I felt that the cause is probably by a hardware issue since the cause was my accidental kick. Here are a few solutions I have tried:

1. Take out heat sink fan and CPU, clean it and place it back.
  2. Took out two 8GB ram sticks, cleaned and placed back in.
  3. Literally took out all parts and rebuilt the PC
  4. Reset CMOS by taking out the motherboard lithium battery.
  5. Have only one 8GB RAM chip inserted to see if one of the two RAM chips are causing the issue. Tried this process for both processors individually- still no luck (In fact, the restart happens even before I get to the log in screen)
Made sure all sockets, plugs, and lines are properly in (I’ve done this several times, no luck)

Note: My PC is only three weeks old
Note 2: The restart process is abrupt; the screen suddenly turns back, and proceeds to start up like any normal PC

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hope I can count on everyone of the tom's hardware community. Cheers!
Welcome to Toms Hardware @14leej2!
First of, why would you kick a pc? Must've been very hard. List the rest of your specs including your drives. Do you have windows on your computer hard drive or on an ssd? If everything is saved on your hard drive then it is likely the culprit as it is broken and corrupted. What is your PSU, I doubt it is but the PSU could've gone faulty however my bets are on the Hard Drive. Check the hard drive and see if it is broken

Jul 9, 2020
Welcome to Toms Hardware @14leej2!
First of, why would you kick a pc? Must've been very hard. List the rest of your specs including your drives. Do you have windows on your computer hard drive or on an ssd? If everything is saved on your hard drive then it is likely the culprit as it is broken and corrupted. What is your PSU, I doubt it is but the PSU could've gone faulty however my bets are on the Hard Drive. Check the hard drive and see if it is broken

Thanks for the welcome :)

It was an accidental kick, since it's located right under my desk. Was stretching out my legs when i slightly kicked it... :(
Here are the specs

CPU: Ryzen 3600
MotherBoard: TUF B450-M Plus Gaming
GPU: GTX 2060 s 8GB/256 BIT
PSU: Corsair CV650 (80 Plus Bronze)
RAM: ADATA DDR4 2666(19) 8GX8 U-DIMM [8GB Ram, two of these in my set up]

Ceriumin, I currently do not use a hard drive! I use a 1TB SSD for my set up.
PC has worked like a charm when I since bought it till yesterday.

Oh and for an update, I tried disconnecting the RESET SWITCH that links my motherboard to my case. Still no luck!

Jul 9, 2020
That's good idea.

Was limited to test the Mb, cpu and ram since my friends used a PC that uses intel... turns out it wasnt the PSU or the GPU
Took it to repair service for them to figure out whats wrong, and after a day, they claimed it was the CPU that was causing the problem.
Is this possible? From what I remember there was not any physical damage of the CPU, and it was clean when I took it out myself a few days ago.
Can kicking my PC slightly while its on damage the cpu, which has been causing this restart loop problem?
I dont know why but I just have this constant gut feeling its the motherboard or ram.

should I buy a new cpu?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have a large chunk of metal that weighs quite a bit, stuck to the top of the cpu. It's entirely possible that your 'kick' bounced that giant chunk of metal and forced movement in the cpu below it. You can try a reseat of the cpu, check the socket for any bent pins etc, but yes, if you moved the cpu inadvertently then it's possible voltage went down the wrong way and messed up the cpu. Doesn't happen often, but can.

It's just as possible that that bounce caused data corruption in windows critical system file and thats the underlying cause.

Open up Start, select Command Promt Run as Administrator.
Type in DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
(enter) see if that works

Solution
Was limited to test the Mb, cpu and ram since my friends used a PC that uses intel... turns out it wasnt the PSU or the GPU
Took it to repair service for them to figure out whats wrong, and after a day, they claimed it was the CPU that was causing the problem.
Is this possible? From what I remember there was not any physical damage of the CPU, and it was clean when I took it out myself a few days ago.
Can kicking my PC slightly while its on damage the cpu, which has been causing this restart loop problem?
I dont know why but I just have this constant gut feeling its the motherboard or ram.

should I buy a new cpu?
Is there a bent pins on CPU ? If no, then the CPU is fine.
Like @Karadjgne said, check the motherboard. Do your MB still on the warranty ? RMA will be good option if your systems still turn off randomly.