Hitachi Confirms 4TB 3.5-inch HDD, Shipping Now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]You don't 'have' the pictures, you only have them until the drive inevitably crashes. If you are trying to keep pictures, you upload them to a storage service (e.g. flicker, etc.)In any case, thanks for the example. I didn't think about that one. Do you really have, even assuming a picture size of 5MB/picture size with lossless compression, 400,000 pictures? Almost half a million pictures? Assuming 12 waking hours in a day, and you take pictures on weekends and 3 weeks of vacation a year (104 + 15 = 119 days a year), that means you're taking a picture every 2 minutes for the last 10 years. I believe you are mixed up about the pictures. Video is another thing. Video adds up fast.[/citation]

Actually it's more like 600,000 pictures and i'm not as young as you think I am to have only been taking pictures at a crazy rate for only 10 years, I have also scanned in the highest bit rate I could find all my old hard-copy pictures from when I was a kid, including negatives. And yes, I tend to save in RAW format to combat the inevitable loss of quality that JPEG delivers.
This HDD regularly gets synced up to it's sister drive which lives in the fire-safe, along side the other hard drives backups of music, movies and TV shows - some legitimate, others not so, but who the f**k are you to judge me?
Lastly, I don't want pictures of my kids to be stored in the cloud, they are MY pictures and only I have access to them, store on Flicker or Facebook all you want, I want mine available

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]You can get a 2T for 69$.Not a good deal, but impressive... I can wait to see where we can go.Eventually, we will need a new form of storage to take over at one time. But I got absolutely no clue what it could be...[/citation]

that's probably before the flood BS :| now it's more around 200$ so i guess for a new drive 4T for 400$ is OK :D

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]...hard drives backups of music, movies and TV shows - some legitimate, others not so, but who the f**k are you to judge me?[/citation]
No judgement was made, just a stating a fact. Does it make you mad when people bring up the fact that making unlicensed copies of copyrighted media (and therefore not paying the creator(s) and maintainer(s) of it) is illegal?

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
btw, i read several new tech for SSD will appear at 2012, i pray they'll sell the new drive at reasonable price. so those hard drive manufacturers will regret putting the current price scheme.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]No judgement was made, just a stating a fact. Does it make you mad when people bring up the fact that making unlicensed copies of copyrighted media (and therefore not paying the creator(s) and maintainer(s) of it) is illegal?[/citation]
You are kidding right? How's the view from that ivory tower?
I couldn't give a rats ass about illegal downloading, if they wanted to stop it they could, I pay for premium satellite TV so if I decide to DL an episode then it is exactly the same as recording it on VHS tape to watch.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You are kidding right? How's the view from that ivory tower?I couldn't give a rats ass about illegal downloading, if they wanted to stop it they could, I pay for premium satellite TV so if I decide to DL an episode then it is exactly the same as recording it on VHS tape to watch.[/citation]
So I guess your answer is, yes, it does make you mad. As I said, I made no judgement, or even stated what I did myself. I just stated the fact that it is illegal. You got angry over it (WTF) and made judgements (ivory tower) about thinking one way or the other about it. People make their personal choice to follow the law or not. I just find it strange in this case, if they are caught, they complain it is unfair they got a penalty - a penalty they knew they would get. It's strange.

Think ill just skip buying a hard drive for next few years. Its about time I upgrade to a SSD and bluray burner. For $40 2x 25 packs will offload about 1.2TB and only use my old HD's and new SSD's for the important stuff.

G

"You are kidding right? How's the view from that ivory tower?I couldn't give a rats ass about illegal downloading, if they wanted to stop it they could, I pay for premium satellite TV so if I decide to DL an episode then it is exactly the same as recording it on VHS tape to watch.

So I guess your answer is, yes, it does make you mad. As I said, I made no judgement, or even stated what I did myself. I just stated the fact that it is illegal. You got angry over it (WTF) and made judgements (ivory tower) about thinking one way or the other about it. People make their personal choice to follow the law or not. I just find it strange in this case, if they are caught, they complain it is unfair they got a penalty - a penalty they knew they would get. It's strange."

Arguing on ~~usenet~~ the internet is like winning the special olympics...

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]tomy243[/nom]Arguing on ~~usenet~~ the internet is like winning the special olympics...[/citation]

What did it feel like?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]izmanq[/nom]btw, i read several new tech for SSD will appear at 2012, i pray they'll sell the new drive at reasonable price. so those hard drive manufacturers will regret putting the current price scheme.[/citation]

retailrs are screwing us, not the manufacutres.
ssds wont cost less unless we find a new way to cheaply manufacture the silicon, because even at current prices, even id ssds went to the 10nm process they would still cost more per gb than hdds, and if we realsticly look at progress, by the 10nm process we will have 10-20ish tb drives, probably going at near current ssd speeds (not access time)

[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]me too, 1TB drives go for like $130 nowadays....Think about it this way...if one of your 1TB drives fails you lose 50% of your data...if your 4TB fails you lose all of your data....something to think about, lol[/citation]

thats why you get 2

--------------

when these hit 200$ im getting one and decommissioning all my current hdds, internal and external, and i have a 120gb ssd boot coming my way... god next year is looking good to me.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Who actually needs that much space? I have a 2TB external WD Elements drive and have only about 600GB used (backing up my main PC, a few family members' though they don't have much stuff, and a disc image or two for my laptop).

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]I remember the good old days when you could get a 2TB harddrive for $60-70. Its nice that the HDD industry is still moving...but seriously whose gonna dish out that much money for a 4TB drive.[/citation]
I remember in 1999 when I built my dream home office PC with a large bonus I'd gotten and the largest hdd on the market was 20GB and cost $400. Getting 4000GB for the same price 12 years later is pretty sweet.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I gonna say WTF 400 bucks I just cant see me spending 100 a TB right in this market or any especially for a 5000 rpm drive.
thats my two cents without thinking

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]So I guess your answer is, yes, it does make you mad. As I said, I made no judgement, or even stated what I did myself. I just stated the fact that it is illegal. You got angry over it (WTF) and made judgements (ivory tower) about thinking one way or the other about it. People make their personal choice to follow the law or not. I just find it strange in this case, if they are caught, they complain it is unfair they got a penalty - a penalty they knew they would get. It's strange.[/citation]
Whatever let's you sleep at night
By the way, you do realise that "cloud" storage doesn't mean that online content is stored using the power of rainbows and fairy dust, it inevitably gets stored on a hard drive in a whopping great server farm somewhere.
The same server farm that will be putting in these 4TB drives during the next round of drive refresh

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]...you do realise that "cloud" storage doesn't mean that online content is stored using the power of rainbows and fairy dust, it inevitably gets stored on a hard drive in a whopping great server farm somewhere...[/citation]

It does not 'get stored on a hard drive' It gets stored on a RAID 10 or better set of life managed hard drives with multiple methods, forms, and locations of backup and recovery (or so I hope). It's nothing like a home HD, or even an HD with optical media backup (though it sounds like you have a good backup plan - better than 99% of people do).

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]It does not 'get stored on a hard drive' It gets stored on a RAID 10 or better set of life managed hard drives with multiple methods, forms, and locations of backup and recovery (or so I hope). It's nothing like a home HD, or even an HD with optical media backup (though it sounds like you have a good backup plan - better than 99% of people do).[/citation]
So a RAID10 array composed of rainbows then?
Riddle me this, do they use hard drives in a server farm or not?

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]So a RAID10 array composed of rainbows then?...Riddle me this, do they use hard drives in a server farm or not?[/citation]
As the old saying goes, "Intentionally failing to see my point does not protect you from being wrong."

By your view, the Great Pyramids at Gisa are just a rock since they are made up of rocks, and a lot of engineering. And, of course, a RAID 10 array is not just made up of hard drives, there is a control system which manages redundancy and multi-point failure recovery. Do you keep your family photos in a shed next to a brook? It rarely floods...

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
you two are arguing semantics! yes it still goes on an HDD or many of HDD's. it doesnt matter how many, just that it does. And yes I would say it is stored on rainbows.... Have you ever looked at the pretty colors of optical media and or the optical data lines oooooooo pretty... lol [:lectrocrew:9]

chaos133

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
$400 doesn't sound too bad for the highest capacity HDD, since new things are always more expensive, and considering the prices rising due to the floods.

Status
Not open for further replies.