Hitachi Confirms 4TB 3.5-inch HDD, Shipping Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get a 2T for 69$.

Not a good deal, but impressive... I can wait to see where we can go.

Eventually, we will need a new form of storage to take over at one time. But I got absolutely no clue what it could be...

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Well... With current hd prices $400 isn't bad. Especially for 4tb.Well $400 wouldn't be bad here anyway.[/citation]
Agree. $400 is ok for the current market, with the Thailand flood and shortage of HDD. Especially the largest capacity HDD on the market usually cost more per GB.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I remember the good old days when you could get a 2TB harddrive for $60-70. Its nice that the HDD industry is still moving...but seriously whose gonna dish out that much money for a 4TB drive.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]You can get a 2T for 69$[/citation]
Yeah maybe BEFORE the Thailand flood. I saw 5400 RPM 2TB drives at that price.

I can't wait until 3TB and 4TB hard drives come with new computers with the OS installed on them. Either that, or companies where you can build your own computer allow you to use a larger hard drive as your main hard drive. Currently, 3TB hard drives can only be chosen for data storage, not you main drive (going from CyberPowerPC.com). Actually, I just checked, they weren't offering 3TB drives (let alone 4TB drive) on the configurator.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]Eventually, we will need a new form of storage to take over at one time. But I got absolutely no clue what it could be...[/citation]
I'm also going to add some words without doing any thinking whatsoever.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Can anyone tell me how they could possibly fill a 4TB drive (or 1TB for that matter) if they are not illegally downloading copyrighted material. I just don't think there is that much free content out there (and if it is free, why store it, just stream it the next time you need it)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Can anyone tell me how they could possibly fill a 4TB drive (or 1TB for that matter) if they are not illegally downloading copyrighted material. I just don't think there is that much free content out there (and if it is free, why store it, just stream it the next time you need it)[/citation]
My missus is NOT a professional photographer, but has a nice 8MP Canon EOS 350D anyway, we take pictures of holidays, special occasions, the kids, days out, birthdays, DIY work, moving house, etc etc etc. We have almost 2TB of pictures.
Now think how many pictures someone who is a serious photographer might have or is a professional photographer
Then, only then, decide if a 4TB drive would be of any use in a corporate server farm or not

G

I have well over half that much data. It includes HD pics, large designs/drawings, documents (text and graphics), etc. I have to have it offline at any given time. Today I use several backup portable drives to suffice. Now just get that much storage in a Mobile Workstation and I would be in heaven.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
who wants a 5400 RPM Drive over a 7200 RPM Drive? If its strictly a data backup drive used on a part time basis, i can see saving a few bux on a slower spindle speed otherwise cmon, pay a little more for the RPMs.

G

FWIW, I rip all my DVDs so I don't have the hassle of trying to find the disk when I want it. That adds up pretty fast.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Waywocket[/nom]FWIW, I rip all my DVDs so I don't have the hassle of trying to find the disk when I want it. That adds up pretty fast.[/citation]

As do i, but it takes some time for the computer to spin up and sift through 3x7200 rpm drives and 7TB full from 4.5gb/movie DVD Rips. I quickly dumped the WD Green drive after experiencing the slow. But i do appreciate the sector sizes, i have all my large movie storage drives as large as they can go

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]We have almost 2TB of pictures....[/citation]
You don't 'have' the pictures, you only have them until the drive inevitably crashes. If you are trying to keep pictures, you upload them to a storage service (e.g. flicker, etc.)

In any case, thanks for the example. I didn't think about that one. Do you really have, even assuming a picture size of 5MB/picture size with lossless compression, 400,000 pictures? Almost half a million pictures?

Assuming 12 waking hours in a day, and you take pictures on weekends and 3 weeks of vacation a year (104 + 15 = 119 days a year), that means you're taking a picture every 2 minutes for the last 10 years. I believe you are mixed up about the pictures. Video is another thing. Video adds up fast.

custodian-1

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]You can get a 2T for 69$.Not a good deal, but impressive... I can wait to see where we can go.Eventually, we will need a new form of storage to take over at one time. But I got absolutely no clue what it could be...[/citation]

Post a link for 2TB for $69.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I'll wait until prices go back down. If I'm going to invest that much on a drive it will likely be into an SSD. I still have a ton of slow fat drives hanging around. I bought a pair of $89 Samsung 2TB drives off of Newegg before the flood thing.

[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Can anyone tell me how they could possibly fill a 4TB drive (or 1TB for that matter) if they are not illegally downloading copyrighted material. I just don't think there is that much free content out there (and if it is free, why store it, just stream it the next time you need it)[/citation]
Option 1: Try editing uncompressed 1080p video footage some time... It will eat 1TB for breakfast. And then lets say you want to do multiple projects... 4TB is a great starting place.
Option 2: 4TB is handy if you are doing file storage for your household. My wife and I have ~65GB of music, and ~2TB in movies we own (every movie we buy goes on the network, and the DVD/Blueray stays in it's case hopefully never to be touched again), plus 45GB of home movies (and we just bought the camera in August! Amazing how much video can be made of a little baby! lol), plus ~20 years of documents, save files, and stuff (150GB). So yes, legally, it is very very easy to fill up 4TB if given a little time.
Option 3: Say you have a home network with 4 computers (2 desktops, 2 laptops). The system files for each would average to ~100GB to backup (100GBx4), plus you may want incrimental backups every night or week and keep them for a month (~500GB), plus monthly full backups for a year (100GBx4x12=4.8TB), and that does not include redundancy...
Long story short, 4TB is easy to fill up. We have a total of 5TB total in various computes in the house and I can't wait to consolidate to a few 4TB drives in Raid 1 or 10 when they come down in price next year.

[citation][nom]jgutz2006[/nom]who wants a 5400 RPM Drive over a 7200 RPM Drive? If its strictly a data backup drive used on a part time basis, i can see saving a few bux on a slower spindle speed otherwise cmon, pay a little more for the RPMs.[/citation]
5400rpm drives are plenty fast at that density, easily over 140MB/s on a single drive (though 5900rpm is a better compromise). These are perfect for nice quiet low power home servers where the discs are spinning most of the time. 7200rpm drives are overkill for most things (except as editing or mondo system drives)

bigoldbrute

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I guess those large 3 and 4tb drives offers nicer price per gb because price of single hdd motor (required for device to work) is fixed, and therefore makes up smaller percentage of devices total price. So assuming motor costs 50$, its third of 150$ 1tb drive, and only 1/8 of 400$ 4tb drive. So its definately better decision to stick with those large drives now.

Status
Not open for further replies.