Hitachi drive not detectable by system, works fine on others

david1g

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
I have a Dell Inspirion ONE with Windows 10 installed. When trying to boot it up, it comes up with a black screen telling me it can't find anything to boot up. So I assumed i may have a MBR or bad SATA drive issue, took out the drive and put it in my HP and it tried to boot up. I then took the hard drive from my HP and put in the Dell to see if the dell was having issues recognizing a drive, it tried to boot up....recognized the WD harddrive and attempted to start up. I don't know why the Hitachi won't work on the DELL, checked the boot menu and doesn't show up, but works on two other computers in the house. I thought it may still be a MBR issue, but can't even fix that using the other PC's because of a weird issue with Windows 10 and HP USB drivers..when booting up the Windows 10 utilities the keyboard and mouse are disabled on the HP systems. So I am somewhat stuck here.

Welcome to the community, @david1g!

I'd suggest you try plugging into a different port on the Dell computer, if you haven't tried this already. Another thing that you should definitely do is use a different SATA cable as well and see if the system will be able to recognize the HDD properly then.
If you suspect that the problem is coming from the OS itself, I'd advise you to use the Advanced repair options in the Windows Installation media and run the StartUp Repair in Win 10.

Hope this works. Keep us posted.
SuperSoph_WD :)