Hitachi-LG's Blu-ray/SSD Hybrid Now Smaller

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
hmm... would i select in the biuos to boot from the ROM drive or the HHD if i put windows on it...

intresting idea i guess if you need the space, could as mentioned be useful in laptops and such. also might be a good option in small media pcs use your 2-3 slots for large hdd and boot from this with the os for better responsivness.

as for regular pc users it will probably not be worth it from a value standpoint to get the combo vs the two sepratly as long as there is room in the case

It is most likely connected to a port multiplier(inside the drive) so you will see both in the bios anyway. similar to how many external multi drive setups work.

ozzman24

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
[citation][nom]wribbs[/nom]I was mildly interested in owning a bluray player back when they bested hd-dvd but I no longer have any use for optical media tbh. I would imagine these two expensive technologies will combine to be very cost prohibitive. Maybe Apple can get its deep pocketed drones to buy an Ipad with it.[/citation]
The extras are under the shirt.

[citation][nom]littlec[/nom]Boot drive means what it sounds like, everything needed to boot and run constantly. after that you'll still need storage (or most people will), your comment made me think you were going to use this as your only drive, which may work for you but most people will not find that as a viable solution.[/citation]

I disagree. Most people, and by that I mean people who don't read Tom's Hardware, only use more than 60GB of if they download video. I'm talking about a laptop for typical computer usage--not heavy gaming or use as a media center. The people who want a media center probably already own a capable external hard drive. And anyone who knows about computers (and needs more storage than 80GB or so) knows that laptop hard drives break more often than most and would back up their data so that a larger HDD isn't that necessary.

Most people won't know the difference between 80GB & 500GB if you don't tell them one is better, but instead just mention one weighs less, faster, and more reliable. Personally, I'd take 32GB for my laptop. And according to the article, much larger sizes that will accomodate 90% of laptop users will be available in a year.

What do you use your laptop for? Because I put my terabytes of storage on my i7 desktop.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]I disagree. Most people, and by that I mean people who don't read Tom's Hardware, only use more than 60GB of if they download video. I'm talking about a laptop for typical computer usage--not heavy gaming or use as a media center. [/citation]

I service machines every work day and 60GB isn't cutting it anymore for the average laptop user. 80-100GB of drive useage is very common as many users have no idea how to uninstall things, what to remove or even how to burn a DVD. External drives aren't great for everyone either as even cut/copy and paste to a different drive letter is alien to novices and included backup software can be vague and confusing to people.

I've done lots of data transfers to new machines for people and seen My Pictures folders exceeding 30gigs plus massive music collections. Sure there's lots of video at times, but its not just movie downloading. People love to take video clips on digital cameras and keep them on their laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.