Hitachi-LG's Blu-ray/SSD Hybrid Now Smaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

joex444

Distinguished
"But unlike the new version, the first-generation model used two SATA 3 Gbps connectors and offered capacities of only 32 GB and 64 GB."

"The company said that the first wave of drives will include 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB capacities."

Finally I can get it in 16GB!

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
That has to be the weirdest combination Ive heard of yet. But I almost wasnt able to read the article due to the hot chick holding the device :p

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
This is a strange but very space efficient solution. I can see Apple offering these as an option in the MBP or even the MB Air.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
just think, if m$ would just realize bluray as a format...a xbox360 could have bluray and 64 gig of storage in one.I would buy that upgrade :).

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]liveonc[/nom]Why couldn't they make a hybrid HDD/SSD with one SATA 3 connector instead?[/citation]

Cost im assuming, such a device was probably deemed unmarketable at this point.

Could be a hit in smaller laptops. SSD for OS and a Blu-ray player taking up the same space as a DVD/Blu-ray plus you stil have space for a hard disk. I can see this selling well for cheap business class laptops.

I've known lots of laptop hard drives to break. Magnetic Storage just really isn't meant to be moved around constantly.

This can be great for laptops since I don't have any problem with an 80GB HDD on mine (not primary computer)--I could get by with 32GB. It will increase reliability (& speed) and decrease weight (disk platters are heavy).

I just wish they were looking to do this with DVD drives since Blu-Ray is mostly pointless (until they can drop media to 50 cents a disc). I dunno about you but my laptop's not for watching HD movies--that's for my TV or desktop with larger monitors.

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
This would be good for an htpc appliance. I stream from a server so this combo is convenient for me. reduction in footprint and power is always good. Price points anyone?

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]I've known lots of laptop hard drives to break. Magnetic Storage just really isn't meant to be moved around constantly.This can be great for laptops since I don't have any problem with an 80GB HDD on mine (not primary computer)--I could get by with 32GB. It will increase reliability (& speed) and decrease weight (disk platters are heavy).I just wish they were looking to do this with DVD drives since Blu-Ray is mostly pointless (until they can drop media to 50 cents a disc). I dunno about you but my laptop's not for watching HD movies--that's for my TV or desktop with larger monitors.[/citation]

Except this is mostly for use as a boot drive o_0

[citation][nom]Tu_illegalamigo[/nom]This would be good for an htpc appliance. I stream from a server so this combo is convenient for me. reduction in footprint and power is always good. Price points anyone?[/citation]
Would be very good for that

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I was mildly interested in owning a bluray player back when they bested hd-dvd but I no longer have any use for optical media tbh. I would imagine these two expensive technologies will combine to be very cost prohibitive. Maybe Apple can get its deep pocketed drones to buy an Ipad with it.

[citation][nom]littlec[/nom]Except this is mostly for use as a boot drive o_0[/citation]

I'm missing what you're contradicting. How does using the drive as my primary HDD and booting Windows from it conflict with using this as a boot drive?

Do you mean that it will, in some way, be unsuitable for use as a hard drive to run programs off of it? Like bad for lots of read/write operations like a flash stick?

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]I'm missing what you're contradicting. How does using the drive as my primary HDD and booting Windows from it conflict with using this as a boot drive?Do you mean that it will, in some way, be unsuitable for use as a hard drive to run programs off of it? Like bad for lots of read/write operations like a flash stick?[/citation]

Boot drive means what it sounds like, everything needed to boot and run constantly. after that you'll still need storage (or most people will), your comment made me think you were going to use this as your only drive, which may work for you but most people will not find that as a viable solution.

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
GeeEEeez that's cool, they need to make one for the desktop too! My computer could use a 128 GB SSD performance boost!!!

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Imo a notebook is supposed to be small, and used in a minor way compared to a Desktop.

I installed a 40GB SSD into my wifes Dell Studio 1710, and she hasn't used much of it. If she decides she wants to download movies, I'll buy her a small form factor external USB 2.0 Hard Drive.

Imo 40-60GB SSDs should be standard on notebooks, with the option to add a 2nd HDD for media, or simply use an external for media.

Obviously there are some professionals that store large amounts of data on their netbooks, or simply have a "mobile office" in which case they could just order it with a 500 GB 2.5" internal drive.

My 2c

Status
Not open for further replies.