Hitachi Sata Laptop drives

colarguns

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
I have (3) Hitachi Model: HTS723225L9A360 SATA 3GB/s laptop drives that have been in their protective wraps for about 2 years, as I had them replaced with newer drives. I have the Newertech Universal Drive Adapter (http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/manuals/universaldriveadapter_usb3.pdf ) that accepts this type of drive, and I wish to read or pull data from these drives and put in my desktop PC.

When I attach any of these 3 drives via the Universal Drive Adapter, I go into (My Computer), and I do not see Windows 7 Professional 64bit recognizing these drives, and nor do I hear any sort of connection occurring when all connections are made between the adapter and the USB3.0 usb ports on my desktop. I have tried to find jumpers on the drives, but I do not see any (with my untrained eyes), as the directions on the aforementioned pdf file direct you to ensure drive jumper is set to master.

I just don't see these jumpers, and all connections with this adapter are correct. Does anyone have ideas on how to get this adapter to work properly, or perhaps a better method of puling data from these old drives? I can't recall if these drives were dead or corrupted when I removed them, so just merely trying to see if I can pull data from them. Thanks!

Update: I am now able to recognize the drive (via adapter) in windows. However, windows now says that I cannot use this drive until I format it. If I format it, I will lose my data. Any workarounds for this without losing my data? Also these (3) 2.5" drives had a raid configuration when they "were" in my laptop. Thank you!

Unless you have a very old desktop, you should not need any kind of adapter to connect them to the PC. They should attach to the system using a standard SATA drive cable and SATA power cable internally just as your regular drives are attached internally. To permanently mount them internally you may need 2.5" to 3.5" adapters but if you only want them connected temporarily they can just lay beside the case while connected.

Maybe I'm missing what you're trying to do but the problem is likely with your adapter, especially if you don't have USB 3.0 ports to attach it to and are attempting to use USB 1.0 or 2.0 ports, which likely will not work with that adapter sue to a lack of the necessary amount of power required to power the drive. I'd just attach them internally temporarily or get mounting adapters to attach them permanently.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817812011&cm_re=2.5%22_drive_adapter-_-17-812-011-_-Product

You need to figure out what RAID configuration they were in and maybe you can install the necessary RAID drivers to allow windows to recognize them. It would still be much easier for windows to recognize the array if it was installed internally. Also, depending on the type of array, the data may not be readable as an individual drive and may require the entire array be available in order to be read.