Hitachi Shipping 2 TB 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColMirage

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
My 74gb HD is so tiny itsy bitsy! I wonder what they're doing with the SBM contest, I think they changed their mind and don't want to give them away anymore. :p

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Cool.
What about performance and reliability?

Still have my old Seagate 80GB and 250GB 7200.10 drives (one of the non fail series) that prove enough until I start torrenting every damned game I see again... My 10k+ music collection is only something like 70GB anyways. I personally haven't seen a use to go beyond 1TB, yet.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
You'll pay a $50 premium for one Western Digital 2TB over two comparable 1TB, $60 for Seagate.

I wouldn't mind a $10-20 premium, but it'll take a long time to save $50 worth of electricity just from one less HDD. If they were really serious about saving your power they would price these 2TB drives a little more in line per/GB(TB?) with the others of the same family.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
How does one pick the 1TB or 2TB drive of his choice? Do we know which company has the most return / failure rates for those drives? I'd like a pair of 1TB drives, but don't know which company to buy!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
"The new 7200 RPM Deskstar 7K1000.C family will deliver up to 500 GB per platter, and will come in capacities of 160 GB to 1 TB."

When I read this the first time, I missed the "up to" bit and wondered how the 160Gb drives would would with only 1/3 of a platter. LOL.

ananke

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I have two 640GB Seagate series 11 drives, they constantly click, BSOD and give me IO errors. Otherwise silent and cool drives. I have 4 older Seagates for 5 years they still running like champions - no corrupt data, nothing. I have also WD 640GB blacks, which are now my main drives. From my experience /and I work for disk drive distributor :)/ WD consumer drives are the best currently, Seagate professional lines are top notch, and the new Seagate 12 family looks promising, as far is made in Taiwan not in China. In general, all manufacturers have similar failure rate, for the consumer should matter only customer support, warranty and price. My generalization comes from around 50 000 units of drives sold per day :).

G

In my life-time, I can hardly see designating time to plough trough the amount of data you intend me to store on these massive drives! We need digitally controllable, speed up devices! In order to keep up with modern break-throughs, and stay current in today's fast-paced world I spend much of my waking hours pouring over information as it is! I will need a remarkably sophisticated "Search" and "File" system, not likely to come from Microsoft, who can barely get "Vista" off the ground and working! Will I anticipate new Chinese and Indian softwares, to compete or totally inundate and destroy Microsoft and their inadequate, antiquated, grasp on things technical? G d help us and save us from the "Blue Screen "of Microsoft's technical inabilities when this amount of data is at risk! Does Ubuntu help? Novell? Ouo Vades? computer-world, your hardware is outstripping your software once again, and Microsoft rests flatly on its (fat, well fed, lazy, corporate mired, slovenly, indolent and overpaid ass) morals and conventions, not to mention an unfairly gained and protected market share? Yes, what is next, to take advantage of this hardware miracle?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Whoh!!! Jesus Christ Uncle Buck!!!

I like a good swipe at big-tech corporate now and again but this story is about storage technology. It makes no reference to Apple stealing your childrens milk or Microsoft dumping asbestos in the water supply. If you think it is so easy to have a fantastic instantly-fast hard drive indexing file system then draft an outline a see if Microsoft or Apple will give you some cash for the idea.

Scratch that. Just ask Microsoft. Apple will take the idea anyway and whack you.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Everything is over priced when it first comes out, give it 6 months to a year and it will be yours for the takeing![/citation]
I realize that, and it's been 8 months since WD introduced their 2TB. I'm just wishing they were under $200 by now since I'm gonna be needing some more storage soon. At least they're not still $300.

G

I realize that, and it's been 8 months since WD introduced their 2TB. I'm just wishing they were under $200 by now since I'm gonna be needing some more storage soon. At least they're not still $300.

Well, in April 27th, 2009, the WD20EADS was being sold on Newegg by US$ 299.99. Now it's down to 219.99. You can see the data here: http://www.tinyurl.com/wd20eads

Status
Not open for further replies.