Hitachi Ships 1TB Per Platter HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
[citation][nom]_Pez_[/nom]wow is that serious? 227 mb/seg... is it sustained speed or just burst ?[/citation]
Most likely advertised speed...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
nice... but i always hate the thought of getting big hdds, 1 crash, so much lost... have to buy 2 for redundancy, and even than, you may need 3, 2 for in pc backup, and 1 outside for a weekly/monthly backup...

and are these the first 1tb platters? or the first 1tb from hitachi?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]1TB per platter, but releasing 5 other drives that are all smaller in storage size? my brain is going WTF.[/citation]

probably they have higher yeilds in those platter sizes.

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
[citation][nom]junixophobia[/nom]Most likely advertised speed...[/citation]
yes, it's most likely advertised speed because of high density (1 TB per platter).

I think I might get 1 TB (which has only one platter) for my Bulldozer build (along with some good SSD for OS). I hope to see some benchmarks soon (primarily thermals, power consumption and average speed).

CoolSpin feature looks interesting but little is said here. I guess it might be some kind of a rotation speed reduction to match regular 7200 rpm drives performance while it actually spins lower than 7200 rpm (high density would allow for this).

Whatever the case I will surely not get any other type of HDD (with less density) since these according to Hitachi web site offer nearly 30% less power consumption (and less heat & noise).

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]nice... but i always hate the thought of getting big hdds, 1 crash, so much lost... have to buy 2 for redundancy, and even than, you may need 3, 2 for in pc backup, and 1 outside for a weekly/monthly backup...[/citation]
that's why I use Dropbox for backing up my most important stuff, SVN for code (and some other files) and I do monthly backup of entire HDD to external HDD.

I wonder how higher density of these new hard drives impact the reliability and integrity of data over time.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
What do they mean by "a maximum areal density of 569 gigabits per square inch" ? Maybe I fail at math, but with a 1TB platter, I was under the impression that the density would be around 92-110GB, assuming a surface of around 10.5-11in². Or do they imply that the maximum theorical storage size of a single platter using this technology is 6TB ?

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
So 1TB single platter drive for primary partition is now an option. Still, the main advantage of areal density improvements is larger drives, what with SSDs slowly taking over the boot drive duties. So where is the announcement of the first 4TB HDD using 4 platters?

G

Exactly agnickolov... where is the announcement for the first 4TB drives? Perhaps the yield for these 1TB single platters is not high enough yet to support the 4TB drives in production.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]_Pez_[/nom]wow is that serious? 227 mb/seg... is it sustained speed or just burst ?[/citation]
No, don't expect more than 165MB/s sustained sequential transfer rate on the outer edge of the platter. The Spec sheets have a higher value than what you is actually ever seen.
It's good that platter densities are continuing to exponentially increase, allowing for also an exponential increase in sequential transfer rates, and we'll finally be leaving the

G

Samsung had the 1TB platter density nailed back in March but after Seagate bought them, it went away. I was sad, I thought we would break past 3TB with the higher densities! :,C

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I know its not the same company anymore, sorta, but I still have nightmares about the IBM Deskstar (aka DeathStar) 75GXP 75 GB DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra). I killed four of them suckers in 5 months and even got a worthless $10 coupon on a purchase of another of their drives (like I would go through that again) from the lawsuit....

*throws salt over shoulder*

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Definitely a good drive for embedded systems like surveillance DVRs. Single platter drives generally have a lower failure rate although performance isn't stellar. I once had a 7200RPM drive with 11 platters. It ran really hot and didn't last long even with a fan and heatsinks bolted on. An IBM Deskstar, IIRC. Can't wait for a 5TB drive based on 1 TB platters.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I know some company samsung or hitachi make 5 platter drives so we should have 5TB drives by now. We've been stuck on 3TB too long even 2.5" drives have higher capacities.

G

They'll probably be even less reliable than the current ones... It's unbelievable just how bad hard drives have gotten once they exceeded 500gb. How about less capacity, and more reliability?

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]What do they mean by "a maximum areal density of 569 gigabits per square inch" ? Maybe I fail at math, but with a 1TB platter, I was under the impression that the density would be around 92-110GB, assuming a surface of around 10.5-11in². Or do they imply that the maximum theorical storage size of a single platter using this technology is 6TB ?[/citation]
You're calculating form bits, not bytes. Makes a difference. While I'd love to say my RAID0 is 16TB, it's 16Tb, and 2TB.

[citation][nom]amigafan[/nom]CoolSpin feature looks interesting but little is said here. I guess it might be some kind of a rotation speed reduction to match regular 7200 rpm drives performance while it actually spins lower than 7200 rpm ...[/citation]
Sounds like the same thing WD does with their Green drives.

Cantisque

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I hate looking for new disks to buy, the sellers seldom know which models they are selling so you're never sure you're getting the latest one :(. Anyone know anywhere in the UK that's going to be selling these?

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]You're calculating form bits, not bytes. Makes a difference. While I'd love to say my RAID0 is 16TB, it's 16Tb, and 2TB.[/citation]
Ah. There it is. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.