dugie77

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hi, I have a HITACHI Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723020BLA642 (0f12115) 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA
and I only have some movies and music on it because my 500 GB drive was getting to small with all my games, pictures,etc. on it and its maybe only a year old. in the past few days I have tried playing the movies and they will stop and skip all the time and music will take forever to load and play but Win 7 is telling me it is working properly. I have already switched it to a different SATA port and switched out the cable. Is it failing? What can I do to get all my stuff off of it?
Thanks in advance!

ectogamit

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
if it does it all the time then I would recommend scanning your computer with malware scanner like spybot search and destroy (free). A antivirus program running in the background could also cause that. Computer could be indexing also but skipping would stop once it finished. I also found that some torrent programs have memory leaks and will cause you system to slow down over time, a simple reboot will fix that. but it will happen again. I sometimes will pause a download to try to get performance back. other free programs you could use are malwarebytes and spywareblaster. get programs from download.com but click the link that has reviews next to it not the links at the top which are ads. though they are less common another step would be to scan for a virus. but if you have pirated software that could wipe out your key generators. sometimes you can find a conflicting program by using msconfig and changing your start-up programs. DO NOT do that unless your computer literate. After market memory managers will also cause this if it decides to try to recover memory.
make backups of anything that is important or difficult to get again to another hard drive or DVD or Blu-ray disks to be on the safe side.

TRENDING THREADS