Hitting Memory Sticks to wall fixes it - A strange issue

Miracle_1

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
I have a windows 10 PC that has p8p67 asus deluxe mother board and it has corsair vengeance DDR3 2133mhz 4x8gb total 32GB memory sticks and i7 2600k cpu, no overclock, everything is default.

The problem is sometimes when I touch in the computer, such as opening the cover and changing SSD cables or removing hardware etc causes an issue; When I start the computer, nothing comes to screen and no signal to keyboard or no startup beep sound, then after 3-5 seconds it turns off completely and then starts back automatically and stays like that, no screen, no beep. If I remove all memory sticks the board sounds memory alert beep.

Then I remove my memory sticks and hit them on the wall few times then put them back in mixed order after doing this 2-3 times the issue gets fixed and the computer works without any problem until I open the cover and change something in the future. I am sure it will work fine 6 months or more if I dont touch it. Because this issue has happened in the past 2 times and I did the same thing then the computer worked at least 6 months without any issue until I touch it inside.

Do I have a bad/unstable ram or is this a static electric issue from my hands ? I tried to remove the battery and power cable and wait 4-5 minutes, didnt help. The only solution was to removing memory sticks and hit them on the wall.

Thanks for help.

Solution

Hitting them is certainly not doing anything. Removing them and reinserting might be.

Get high (90%) isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth. Gently clean the contacts of the ram sticks. Use compressed air to blow dust out of the ram slots. Reinsert firmly and ensure retaining clips lock.

Hitting them is certainly not doing anything. Removing them and reinserting might be.

Get high (90%) isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth. Gently clean the contacts of the ram sticks. Use compressed air to blow dust out of the ram slots. Reinsert firmly and ensure retaining clips lock.

Solution

Miracle_1

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

Thanks for the reply. But why is it happening when I touch inside the computer ? Such as If I remove an SSD or replace cables. There is no problem if I dont touch it. It works fine forever until I touch inside. Yes the board needs to be cleaned and I will do exactly what you say soon.

Not sure. I would double check all the cables/cards and make sure they’re fully seated. It sounds like something is barely connected and when you go inside it gets knocked a bit loose.

Might also make sure nothing is under the botherboard tray (like a screw) and shorting it.

Are all the standoffs in place?

Psu plugged into a grounded outlet?

Miracle_1

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah very logical. I will check all those possible reasons. The house has grounded outlet but looks like it is not good, because everytime i touch the computer metal parts, I get electric shock a bit if I dont wear slippers at that moment.

TRENDING THREADS