IN RUSSIA!

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13573" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13573</A>

So I guess those of you with coupons from your ATI cards, can now get your copy. :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Jh,

Sorry, that was the point of the title.

Good marketing, add a little truth to the lie. :evil:

Sorry to get people's hopes up.

<b>Snorkius</b>, yeah, and this version would likely not work with the real one when it comes out, and would be almost guaranteed to have cheats/holes in it. Basically you're paying for somehting that's free on the net to anyone with Broadband.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

dhlucke

Polypheme
When I was in Russia I was in awe. DVD movies are out there before they even leave the big screens here. Games and programs cost a few dollars for a very high quality hacked version. On the back of the cases, which look real, there is a little note that usually says "brought to you by proud Russian hackers" or something similar.

Photoshop cost a few dollars as did everything and anything else that you wanted.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
Hackers in Russia have done a great service for 'the people'. If you look at the picture, the game on the right of Half-life (1C, Operation something or other) is completely, 100% legal. It costs at most 10% more, but you get full support, pdf manual, patches etc. etc. etc. The only thing missing is a box.

Without the competition of pirates, russian game companies would never have done what they did. Illegal? Yes. Bad? not in my book.

I'm still waiting for US record-labels to follow. They'll have to, eventually.

<b> A mosquito is just a small woodpecker. </b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm not sure I follow you. What did Russian game companies do? While all the illegal software is out there stores still sell legal retail versions at American prices. Nobody in Russia other than mafia can afford them.

Also, they have notes on the illegal stuff that says "not for sale in Moscow" since in that city they don't let the stores sell or stalls sell any hacked media, probably to protect the capital's image.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
I don't how long ago you were last in Russia. Software companies started selling legal, localised versions of most of the popular games about three/four years ago.

This has'nt spread to other types of soft, but no surprise there.

P.S. I bought Morrowind, GTA:VC, Serious Sam, etc, i-can't-say-of-the-top-of-my-head last summer. Cost me a whole ~$3 per game. Considering games in Switzerland cost $60 and up, I'd say that I got a pretty good deal...

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Hmm looks like kazaa and bittorent will be busy for a month or so.

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.8)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/720)

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
Hmmmmm. It's hard to tell a well-done pirate version from a registered. A lot of games are legal though, for a price hardly bigger than the pirate version, thats a good thing. I fervently hope the trend continues.

The thing is I doubt that THIS version of HL2 will be playable on Valve's nework. :wink:

But maybe someone hacked THAT too. :evil:

[best yakov smirnoff voice I can muster]

<font color=red>In Soviet Russia... Internet Searches <b>YOU</b>!</font color=red>

[/yakov off]

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Too bad I can't use P2P or bittorrent, f-ing school network. I'll figure something out--eventually.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

pauldh

Illustrious
Nice One. I hope some upgrade happy people here didn't order new hardware because they read the title of your Thread. :)

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9500 Pro, Santa Cruz, Antec 1000AMG, TruePower 430watt

pauldh

Illustrious
Mercedes, I wish. I think it stands for Antec Metalic Grey. I'd trade it for your Merceded AMG though. Fair trade, Both good brands :)

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9500 Pro, Santa Cruz, Antec 1000AMG, TruePower 430watt

pauldh

Illustrious
By the way, when I lose my Newbie status, I'll get rid of my system specs. Until then you are stuck having to see them there.