HL2 to Ship with 9800XT

Well it's 'semi-official' according to <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11406" target="_new">this article</A> @ the Inquirer.

Yeah it's been mentioned before, just more fuel for the fire.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
yes and i read nvidia is betting on doom 3.

but it goes on to say doom 3 will not ship this year.

yet ID is saying they are still aiming for completion by end of this year.

eden

Champion
The good thing about ID is they DON'T HYPE the date.

They said next year, they are unsure, period.
People salivating and making rumors are the only blokes who will end up disappointed.
I'm excited a lot for Doom III, but I could care less if it were to come out next year.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

The problem with that is if they delay TOO long there might be something that surpasses it (unlikely but could happen).
I just wonder how much effort Carmack himself is putting into this considering his X-Prize efforts. HL2 sofar seems like a better GAME, while D]|[ may have better Graphics.

Well we shall see. The X-13 Demo is cool so far, so I'm not sure how much great graphics will help if D]|[ is just a rehash of the old game, and bores me easily (30hrs and it's over? Whoop-Dee-Do). I'll probably get more use out of the multiplayer aspects. I just wih there wasn't the hype, and thinkng ID has no hand in it is naive.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

eden

Champion
I do feel strongly that Doom III will not just make graphics of the next level, but will make graphics become gameplay in itself. I think the experience using surround sound in such realistic environments, will far surpass even HL2's potentially awesome gameplay and experience.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
HL2 supports surround sound too.

Eden.. have you even looked at the alpha? Except for the ever-apparent bugs, and lackluster performance, the visuals are the same. I was able to play at 1024x768 max-detail on my system (no AA, no aniso) with acceptable/good framerates, but really, its not THAT impressive. U realize that EVEN DOOM 3 is just a SUPER-heavily modded quake 3 engine? Same damn core, they keep building off of it. They've just got a totally new and kick-ass lighting system, new sound engine, and some other nifty stuff. Play the game... it does look very much like quake 3, only better. There is more use of PS 2.0 and HDR in HL2... I mean, the water, its totally-kick ass. I think HL2 will look much better, esp. with the addition of more normal maps and stuff after the release.

Doom 3 is becoming overrated. They've been working on it for years. It WAS totally pimpin with super-hot graphics, but the longer they delay, the less impressive it will be. They better have a game thats actually FUN, because graphics alone will not save it (although reputation may...).

You know what game has graphics that are under-rated? Unreal 2. Play it. No insane ps 2.0 stuff, but lots of beautiful high-res textures, lots of complex particle effects, super-high polygon character models, AND an awesome lighting system that is also underrated. And it has surround sound too.

Yes Doom 3 will look much better... but so will HL2.
And HL2 will beat the socks off Doom 3 when it comes to game-play. You've got a real kick-ass story line there, built upon the HUGEST BESTEST KICK-ASSEST game evar. Even the Half-Life expansions.. Redemption, Blue shift, (and we know how expansions can sometimes suck) were the best damn games I've EVER played (besides half-life itself).

Almost every surface in HL2 is (with the appropriate hardware) bump-mapped. Not so with Doom 3 (some bump-mapping but less extensive).

But I could be wrong, but thats my bet.

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

eden

Champion
U realize that EVEN DOOM 3 is just a SUPER-heavily modded quake 3 engine?
I never heard of that and would appreciate any official or respectable sources denoting that, proving your claim.

Same damn core, they keep building off of it.
So is Unreal. U2 or UT2003 are both based on it. You just touted U2's engine. What's your point really?

HL2 supports surround sound too.
Great, but I guarantee you it won't be as exploited as the 5.1 in D3. It's been said tons of times in fact, and it is plain obvious with how the environment is set in D3. While HL2 will also have such gameplay, it comes NOWHERE near the creepy env. of D3. Remember how DOOM games were creepy? Can any other game tie that?
It's the same thing in DOOM III.

it does look very much like quake 3, only better.
I did not feel any Quake 3 engine in there. I've played many Q3 engine games and all of them have traces that show Q3 in there (such as the walking, the weapon switching sounds and animations, the menus). Furthermore a look on the net has revealed that your statement still has absolutely no proof. Prove me.

There is more use of PS 2.0 and HDR in HL2...
I can't counter nor disagree. That's to be left to those who know each game's components. You don't know whether D3 uses a little or lot of PS2.0. Neither do I. So this is a moot point.

I think HL2 will look much better, esp. with the addition of more normal maps and stuff after the release.
The DOOM III engine will be distributed as well, it will also improve. Look at both sides before making a conclusion!
They've been working on it for years
HL2 has been since HL, so that makes it what, like 5 years now?
Doom 3 is becoming overrated.
I feel that occasionally too, but when I think of the dark corridor feel it will have, I get motivated again anytime. I am looking for those games that are made to make me fear touching my mouse and keyboard, fearing moving around and getting stuff directed at me outta nowhere. I predict HL 2 will do so a lot, however Doom III, with the base idea of scare, will do more.

They better have a game thats actually FUN
I believe gameplay elements won't come in the form of personal soldier features like some FPS games have, such as Deus Ex, but rather the env. interaction.
Unreal 2.
I know and agree. Very underrated game & graphics.

And it has surround sound too.
Didn't feel it that much. Most games support it, but don't use it anywhere near what the Doom III devs will do. They got Trent Reznor man, and if the articles speak right, this guy will make you chill.
its not THAT impressive
Going back to a previous statement. Why do you base your judgement on an Alpha? Had it never leaked, I bet you would've been hyped a lot. The Alpha has little sound effects, little surround, no music and bugs everywhere. No one should base their opinion on that version, ever. I could right now go on 3DS Max, create a room, add textures, give you a caracter with a gun, set some lighting, add some sounds, no music. That's the Alpha. Can you really judge my game on that single little example I rendered in 3dS Max that someone stole off my drive?

And HL2 will beat the socks off Doom 3 when it comes to game-play.
I don't think neither of us is in a position to say that. HL2 will likely rock in gameplay for the adventure feel, the quest.
Doom III's gameplay will rock because it will create a new standard for realism and immersion, making it THE spooky-game poster-child.

You've got a real kick-ass story line there,
While I never did the adventure, I followed it closely when my bro played it. Yes it is a great game. Dunno about storyline man. There isn't much storyline, it's mostly a "go find your way" game. You want storyline, play Deus Ex. With all due respect, HL is far from a storyline-driven game.
Not so with Doom 3 (some bump-mapping but less extensive).
Dude, DOOM III is based on bump-mapping simulated polygons for extra bumps and realism. Almost every wall is! Haven't you read the Carmack notes?

In conclusion, you had a lot of wrong points. But you had good ones too. I do think you're coming from bias due to your HL experience. That only prevents you from being entirely neutral. Both games will usher a new era of gaming and will set the bar up. Doom III is extremely hyped sadly, but I shut myself up to those a-hole hypers. I know it will be good, but I don't say to myself: "OMG OMG OMG I CAN'T WAIT". I know I will like it, I've always enjoyed Doom-style gaming, however I don't wait each day scratching a day off my calendar saying: "One step closer...".
Everyone should be neutral and reject hype. Don't let it get to you anyways.

I can't wait for both, but I will likely not get HL2 so quickly, nor D3, as it depends on college freetime. I think I might get HL2 during my one-month Xmas break. Will make it plenty fun. Sadly I won't be upgrading any soon my video card. I'll have to play these games on mediocre settings until I work next year for some real cash, to upgrade. Prescott with a "real spankin'" DX9 card (likely the next ATis) should do it!

--

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I know Eden, I was trying to come from an HL2 biased point of view. Like I said, I wasn't 100% on all that stuff. Sometimes writers write supporting the OTHER side, and while HL2 isn't really the OTHER side for me, I am somewhat in between (as to which game will be better [and at what] and which will have better graphics [and how]).

I remembered reading about doom3 being based 'loosely' off q3a but couldn't find what I had read. I did find this though... " I did most of the early developmentwork with a gutted version of Quake 3, which let me write a brand new rendererwithout having to rewrite file access code, console code, and all the othersubsystems that make up a game. After the renderer was functional and theother programmers came off of TA and Wolf, the rest of the codebase got rewritten.Especially after our move to C++, there is very little code remaining fromthe Q3 codebase at this point. " - John Carmack

Neways.

And BTW, Half-Life was the scariest game I've ever played. Sprites just don't scare me:( (sorry Doom).

I hope HL2 is just as scary or scarier than the original. I need some cardio workout, and I sure as hell aint gonna JOG! SCARE ME VALVE AND ID!

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

eden

Champion
I remembered reading about doom3 being based 'loosely' off q3a but couldn't find what I had read. I did find this though... " I did most of the early developmentwork with a gutted version of Quake 3, which let me write a brand new rendererwithout having to rewrite file access code, console code, and all the othersubsystems that make up a game. After the renderer was functional and theother programmers came off of TA and Wolf, the rest of the codebase got rewritten.Especially after our move to C++, there is very little code remaining fromthe Q3 codebase at this point. " - John Carmack
Good proven point. I do remember now that the Alpha had a lot of context and menu styles à la Q3. The console was very reminiscent. He prolly dumped all of this now. But one thing is for sure, the GFX are NOT based at all from it.

Sprites just don't scare me
Heheh, I dare ya to play Doom II in the dark, at night, with headphones with quality bass and treble, raise the volume and play. Boy will you regret ever thinking Surround 5.1 was the best. :smile:
My friend does that and he seems traumatized! Yeah mostly the game wasn't scary, but there were times, especially with no IDDQD cheat, where you freak out. Cacodemons are still some of the scariest things out there man. I find some of the effects and sounds from DOOM II are better than today's modern games' Sounds! Heck even music can be better! (ENTRYWAY baby)

And BTW, Half-Life was the scariest game I've ever played.
I do think when it came to realistic experience, HL did set the standard for scare. I dunno if HL had music, but our game had none. So playing with no music made things a bit eerie as you hear single sounds from nowhere. I do think the headcrabs were the selling point of this game's scare-factor.

BTW, will you be able to find some pics to post for the THGC Album? We offer free design of the personal webpage, and unlimited pics. Show us some pics of the Fragmaster playing, that you are! :smile:

--

eden

Champion
Me, or Scammy.

There was once when Scammy was away for too long, his inbox got filled (MSN), so he could not receive any more pic e-mails. That's why I also offer the ability to send to me. Then I forward to him with the request demands, and when he updates, he'll get it up. He is updating lately, not sure when he finally finishes, but yeah, try to get some soon before he updates and stops. His "Update cycles" are long lol, sometimes you won't see your page up before a month!

--