[SOLVED] HLaptop: Is a 2 SSD + HDD realistically posible?

Kamaaiana

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Hello!

Right now I have a 15" gaming laptop that I did not buy new and am thinking about upgrading to something more beastly. The machine I have now looks like it has two slots for those SSD sticks and then another slot for a HDD.

My question is when I get the bigger more powerful machine can I use the 128GB SSD for the OS from my old machine, use the pre-installed 512GB SSD for my games etc and use the bigger HDD from either machine for mass storage of videos etc? Would that extra SSD noticeably impact power requirements?

*A third question is in regards to the HDD. The manufacturer does not have the option of increasing beyond 1TB, but just for giggles I would like to do that. The power consumption question comes into play here as well. By default I cannot select the 90Whr battery without picking a more robust storage configuration (which would be significantly more expensive than purchasing a lesser config and installing storage found elsewhere).

*I forgot to mention that the machine that I am saving up for will be at least 15", probably 17" which is why I am assuming it will have that additional SSD slot.

Solution
The M17 appears to have space for 2x PCIe drives, and a regular SATA drive.
However, your old 128GB SSD is almost certainly a SATA drive. Which would suck up the lone SATA port.

And if you had a 512GB + 1TB drive space, adding a 128GB is not even 10% of the total space.
And, a 128GB drive is right on the edge of TooSmall.

Don't worry about using that drive in the new laptop.

USAFRet

Titan
The M17 appears to have space for 2x PCIe drives, and a regular SATA drive.
However, your old 128GB SSD is almost certainly a SATA drive. Which would suck up the lone SATA port.

And if you had a 512GB + 1TB drive space, adding a 128GB is not even 10% of the total space.
And, a 128GB drive is right on the edge of TooSmall.

Don't worry about using that drive in the new laptop.

Reactions: Kamaaiana
Solution