HLDS CS:S Settings not saved

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
994
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

Running the above server, I've banned a couple of people but when I restart
the server the banned list is empty - what am I doing wrong? There is a
banned_ip.cfg file but it's empty.
 

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
975
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

On 2005-04-07, Nick <nick@yourstuff.com> typed:
> Running the above server, I've banned a couple of people but when I restart
> the server the banned list is empty - what am I doing wrong? There is a
> banned_ip.cfg file but it's empty.
>
>
Maybe you need to add :

exec banned_ip.cfg

to your server.cfg ?

HTH.

Pete.

--
Fortune says :

Old soldiers never die. Young ones do.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:27:19 GMT, Pete <pete@supermail.dyndns.org>
wrote:

>On 2005-04-07, Nick <nick@yourstuff.com> typed:
>> Running the above server, I've banned a couple of people but when I restart
>> the server the banned list is empty - what am I doing wrong? There is a
>> banned_ip.cfg file but it's empty.
>>
>>
>Maybe you need to add :
>
>exec banned_ip.cfg
>
>to your server.cfg ?
>
>HTH.
>
>Pete.

which won't actually help as the ban file is empty. i'm pretty certain
you must save the bans before terminating the server, otherwise it
starts over 'fresh' each time.

dr ratt
 

tofou

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
5
0
18,510
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

Nick wrote:
*Quote
Maybe you need to add :
exec banned_ip.cfg to your server.cfg ?
*

Also check that the banned_ip.cfg file is NOT read only.
 

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
975
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

On 2005-04-07, dr ratt <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> typed:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:27:19 GMT, Pete <pete@supermail.dyndns.org>
> wrote:
>
>>On 2005-04-07, Nick <nick@yourstuff.com> typed:
>>> Running the above server, I've banned a couple of people but when I restart
>>> the server the banned list is empty - what am I doing wrong? There is a
>>> banned_ip.cfg file but it's empty.
>>>
>>>
>>Maybe you need to add :
>>
>>exec banned_ip.cfg
>>
>>to your server.cfg ?
>>
>>HTH.
>>
>>Pete.
>
> which won't actually help as the ban file is empty. i'm pretty certain
> you must save the bans before terminating the server, otherwise it
> starts over 'fresh' each time.
>
> dr ratt

Hi,

Obviously if the banned_ip.cfg was empty before, using exec banned_ip.cfg to
load it when the server starts will still give the OP an empty ban list.

The point was that before it wasn't getting loaded at all, using exec
banned_ip.cfg will at least load it.

You were right in that bans need writing. Also kudos to the poster who said
to check that the file isn't read-only. Good point.

http://server.counter-strike.net/server.php?cmd=howto&show=kickban

Kicking And Banning At Same Time

Sometimes we come across that player that needs to be kicked and banned at
the same time, so they do not come back in after being kicked while we are
frantically trying to type in the ban commands. Now, we can do both in one
fell swoop. Type "users" to get the players "uniqueid". Then use "banid
<minutes> <uniqueid> kick". And *poof* - the player in question has been
both kicked and banned. Again, be sure to "writeid" in the console next, and
add "exec banned.cfg" to the server.cfg.

HTH.

Pete.

--
Fortune says :

Never trust a computer you can't repair yourself.
 

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
994
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

"Tofou" <tofou911@Gmail.com> wrote in message
news:3Hl5e.13086$Mg.10706@charlie.risq.qc.ca...
> Nick wrote:
> *Quote
> Maybe you need to add :
> exec banned_ip.cfg to your server.cfg ?
> *
>
> Also check that the banned_ip.cfg file is NOT read only.

Yup, good idea, although I'd already checked that.

Anyway, I noticed that, for some reason, server.cfg had the line:

exec banned.cfg

whereas the file in there was actually called banned_ip.cfg, so I've changed
that line now - so who wants to come to my server and get banned? ;o)

THANKS EVERYONE!
 

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
994
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

"Pete" <pete@supermail.dyndns.org> wrote in message
news:8dq5e.9526$JO6.9111@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...
> On 2005-04-07, dr ratt <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> typed:
>> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:27:19 GMT, Pete <pete@supermail.dyndns.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On 2005-04-07, Nick <nick@yourstuff.com> typed:
>>>> Running the above server, I've banned a couple of people but when I
>>>> restart
>>>> the server the banned list is empty - what am I doing wrong? There is a
>>>> banned_ip.cfg file but it's empty.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>Maybe you need to add :
>>>
>>>exec banned_ip.cfg
>>>
>>>to your server.cfg ?
>>>
>>>HTH.
>>>
>>>Pete.
>>
>> which won't actually help as the ban file is empty. i'm pretty certain
>> you must save the bans before terminating the server, otherwise it
>> starts over 'fresh' each time.
>>
>> dr ratt
>
> Hi,
>
> Obviously if the banned_ip.cfg was empty before, using exec banned_ip.cfg
> to
> load it when the server starts will still give the OP an empty ban list.
>
> The point was that before it wasn't getting loaded at all, using exec
> banned_ip.cfg will at least load it.
>
> You were right in that bans need writing. Also kudos to the poster who
> said
> to check that the file isn't read-only. Good point.
>
> http://server.counter-strike.net/server.php?cmd=howto&show=kickban
>
> Kicking And Banning At Same Time
>
> Sometimes we come across that player that needs to be kicked and banned at
> the same time, so they do not come back in after being kicked while we are
> frantically trying to type in the ban commands. Now, we can do both in one
> fell swoop. Type "users" to get the players "uniqueid". Then use "banid
> <minutes> <uniqueid> kick". And *poof* - the player in question has been
> both kicked and banned. Again, be sure to "writeid" in the console next,
> and
> add "exec banned.cfg" to the server.cfg.
>
> HTH.
>
> Pete.

Hmmm, this is wierd - it is actually writing the files (banned_ip.cfg and
banned_user.cfg) but they're zero byte when it's done - nothing in them.
 

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
994
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

"Nick" <nick@yourstuff.com> wrote in message
news:1112952974.4813.0@lotis.uk.clara.net...
> "Pete" <pete@supermail.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> news:8dq5e.9526$JO6.9111@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...
>> On 2005-04-07, dr ratt <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> typed:
>>> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:27:19 GMT, Pete <pete@supermail.dyndns.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>On 2005-04-07, Nick <nick@yourstuff.com> typed:
>>>>> Running the above server, I've banned a couple of people but when I
>>>>> restart
>>>>> the server the banned list is empty - what am I doing wrong? There is
>>>>> a
>>>>> banned_ip.cfg file but it's empty.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>Maybe you need to add :
>>>>
>>>>exec banned_ip.cfg
>>>>
>>>>to your server.cfg ?
>>>>
>>>>HTH.
>>>>
>>>>Pete.
>>>
>>> which won't actually help as the ban file is empty. i'm pretty certain
>>> you must save the bans before terminating the server, otherwise it
>>> starts over 'fresh' each time.
>>>
>>> dr ratt
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Obviously if the banned_ip.cfg was empty before, using exec banned_ip.cfg
>> to
>> load it when the server starts will still give the OP an empty ban list.
>>
>> The point was that before it wasn't getting loaded at all, using exec
>> banned_ip.cfg will at least load it.
>>
>> You were right in that bans need writing. Also kudos to the poster who
>> said
>> to check that the file isn't read-only. Good point.
>>
>> http://server.counter-strike.net/server.php?cmd=howto&show=kickban
>>
>> Kicking And Banning At Same Time
>>
>> Sometimes we come across that player that needs to be kicked and banned
>> at
>> the same time, so they do not come back in after being kicked while we
>> are
>> frantically trying to type in the ban commands. Now, we can do both in
>> one
>> fell swoop. Type "users" to get the players "uniqueid". Then use "banid
>> <minutes> <uniqueid> kick". And *poof* - the player in question has been
>> both kicked and banned. Again, be sure to "writeid" in the console next,
>> and
>> add "exec banned.cfg" to the server.cfg.
>>
>> HTH.
>>
>> Pete.
>
> Hmmm, this is wierd - it is actually writing the files (banned_ip.cfg and
> banned_user.cfg) but they're zero byte when it's done - nothing in them.

Ok, I *seem* to have solved it - it would appear that the srcds.exe thingy
doesn't store any changes to settings you make, so, after banning someone
(or before closing the server) you need to go to the console and type
writeid which writes the file cfg/banned_user.cfg - writeip doesn't seem to
actually write anything.

Hands up - I'm a noob! Hoorah...