hlp:uneven brightness tft

G

Hi:
If you can help me sort out the situation, it would be greatful.
Situation: On brand new thinkpad t21. The lower 1/3 rectangle strip is 'much' bighter than the top portion in
windows 2000 regular mode. If place a picture of face onboth
area, it's clear one face is brighter and those detail than the other one(especialfuly white area). In picture mode: play back dvd or game, the is no noticable difference.

1) Is this a problem?
2) Is it common on tft display?
3) Is this a software problem?
4) How do I correct if without send the unit back?
Any useful info or link will be thankful.

John

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Brightness uniformity is a problem on some LCD’s especially Laptop LCD’s. To conserve energy and lengthen battery life, many laptops LCD’s use fewer backlights than desktop LCD monitors. Fewer backlights make it difficult to cover the entire screen evenly.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
True, but his problem seems kinda extreme. I'd have a look at another LCD of the same type of Laptop, and compare. If both are teh same, then so be it, teh LCD sucks. Otherwise, return it.

NOS and a <font color=red> Ferrari </font color=red> can be fun! :cool:

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Agree with flame, especially given that the laptop is new.

All TFT's have variance in brightness over the screen, it bothers me in the same way low refresh rates bug some people but not others.

Running a Samsung 150mp on my desktop, it seems damn near perfect, no apparent variation of brightness. My Compaq laptop has obvious bright/dim areas which irritates me.

However, it aint anywhere near as bad as the problem jedi describes. Take it back.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hah! If you hate brightness probs, yous should see my current CRT! When the picture is supposed to black, it has this wonderful centimeter thick sqaure goind around teh whole monitor. Also, there's masses of brightness everywhere. And what really makes me laugh it has a high response time, even though it's a CRT! My freind's LCD w/ a 40ms response time looks better! .....now all I need is an excuse for a new monitor.....hammer please!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Lol. Problem is my dad decided this, and in order for me to ask there must be a tangible reason, ie teh monitor blew up, or somehow it got flung out of my window, or I was practicing shotputting and threw one at it, u get the point:)

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Tilt the monitor so the vents over the back of the tube are parallel to the ground.

Place a bunch of ice cubes on the vents.

Turn the monitor on (disconnecting the VGA lead might be wise, as might having a fire blanket or powder extinguisher).

The monitor will go bang sooner or later, depends on the vents in the metal shielding around the electron gun, how easy they let water in.

(don't really do this)

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you could just run your monitor at a higher resolution and refresh rate then it is capable and it'll fry itself. Covering it with a box might speed up the process, it should simply stop working, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Easiest way is to hurl it out of my window. I took this old monitor, and threw a big rock at ot really hard, and the glass was fine! How strong was teh glass on old monitors (CRT that is)??