Hmm... Confused about Review on color Between Alienware 25 and PG258Q

Jul 26, 2018
I am trying to decide between Alienware 25 and PG258Q.

The review states that the Alienware 25 has the better color, that it has that edge over the rest, however it seems the PG258Q has scored better in just about all cases when it comes to it.

So i'm a bit confused about the statement of the Alienware 25 being a better panel for color.

Can someone provide some clarification?

Solution
Hmm, I see why you're confused, that statement really doesn't seem to make sense taking into account the test results presented.

My best guess is that the reviewer subjectively feels that the AW provides a better picture, even though that may not be reflected in the actual numerical results. In particular he references the fact that it uses an alternate gamma spec than most monitors, and talks up the color saturation a couple times. The test results for gamma don't seem to particularly back up his opinion (and I don't know enough about displays to say how good color saturation is reflected in the test results), but nevertheless he seems to think they set the AW apart from the rest.
D

Deleted member 217926

MERGED QUESTION
Question from zeron2 : "IM Confused About The Review Results Between Alienware 25 and PG258Q"

Jul 26, 2018

Thanks for your response.

Yes, that's correct.

It states that they are all similar so if to decide, then the Alienware 25 would be it due to better color? But it just seems in most comparisons and scores, the PG258Q comes out better.

That is why I am confused by the statement Alienware 25 having the edge in better color in the end anyway.

Jul 26, 2018

It is located in the review for the Alienware AW2518H 240Hz G-Sync Monitor:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/alienware-aw2518h-240hz-g-sync-monitor,5283.html

Page 6 (Conclusion): Fourth Paragraph:

"we believe the AW2518H has a slight edge in picture quality over the other 25” 240Hz monitors in the category. The only way it can get any better will be when VA panels can run this fast."

What I'm confused about is that the Asus PG258Q seems to have scored better than the Alienware AW2518H overall when it comes to image quality tests.

Thus is why I'm confused with the conclusion that the Alienware AW2518H still has the better picture quality.

I just needed clarification as to why this seems like a contradiction. Or am I misunderstanding it?

In other words, is it basically saying that the Asus is "better", but at least the Alienware "has this going for it"?

Or is the Alienware simply slightly superior to the Asus when it comes to image quality regardless?

Thanks in advance for your time!

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, I see why you're confused, that statement really doesn't seem to make sense taking into account the test results presented.

My best guess is that the reviewer subjectively feels that the AW provides a better picture, even though that may not be reflected in the actual numerical results. In particular he references the fact that it uses an alternate gamma spec than most monitors, and talks up the color saturation a couple times. The test results for gamma don't seem to particularly back up his opinion (and I don't know enough about displays to say how good color saturation is reflected in the test results), but nevertheless he seems to think they set the AW apart from the rest.

Solution