Hmm, strange performance from R9 290

undeskeptable

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Hi, I have had my Asus Direct CU II R9 290 for about 5 months now I think, and suddenly, it's just started going downhill.. this card cos me about 350 pounds.. alot of money for a card and would expect better performance out of it! I'm struggling to get 60 fps in L.A Noire And RAGE.. they are the two games im wanting to play at the moment and it's just having none of it.. up and down with the FPS and to be quite fair, it's pissing me off.. I don't know what to do, or what could be the problem? cheers..

CPU is FX-8350
MOBO ASUS Crosshair V

Solution
Well, LA Noire is a terrible PC port. I get worse fps in that game than I do in BF4. The frame rate will drop for 2 reasons.
1. The game has to render the world and of course, that'll take some time.
2. The mod was never meant for the game. The frame rate was locked for a reason.

xPhantam

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
What PSU are you running?

Have you updated the drivers for it at all?

IF so did the problem occur after that ? < If yes then rollback the drivers.

Have you tried overclocking it ?

Ram?

I'm not sure if those games will let you adjust it but they might be trying to run off of one core....

What graphics settings are you trying to play on?

Do you have V-Sync enabled if so try turning it off

Main one - Check for malware/viruses, exact same happened to me once and it all turned out to be a virus running in the background whilst I was gaming ^^ Learnt my lesson ;)

undeskeptable

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

I am aware that L.A Noire is a capped 30 fps game but I have an uncapper which makes it go to 60, but when im turning around and moving the camera it drops to about 35 then back up to 60 again, Is that normal? :S I have an OCZ 700W 80+ Rated PSU, Cost me about 65 pounds. And I play on High settings.. well I try to.. these days games seem "Too powerful" for my PC to handle :( Thats why it's confusing me.. I have Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz ram.. I overclock quite frequently, but doesnt seem to do much to my FPS.. my 8350 is overclocked to 4.4ghz at the moment, Highest it can go.. and I always try have V-Sync off.. I hate it lol, Other games are "OK" I guess.. like Black ops 2 which I play ALOT I get a good 160-200fps on that, and on my 144hz screen it looks more than brilliant, but it just bothered me that L.A Noire is NOT the best graphical game compared to something like BF4 (I don't play it btw) and it drops under 60fps on such a graphics card thats meant to be one of the best at the moment

MrBoomBoom

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Well, LA Noire is a terrible PC port. I get worse fps in that game than I do in BF4. The frame rate will drop for 2 reasons.
1. The game has to render the world and of course, that'll take some time.
2. The mod was never meant for the game. The frame rate was locked for a reason.

Solution

undeskeptable

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

Do you think that could be the reason then? I suppose having such a high end card is optimized for playing high end games I guess, I'm gonna sell and pick up a GTX 780 anyway, I Prefer Nvidia, I feel like they have alot more going for them in the GPU side of things.. AMD for processor.. just the AMD cards don't seem to do it for me these days, Thanks for the replys guys!