Hobby Project on old Dell desktop - Suggestion?

Carpathian

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Hey all, I recently came across an old Dell computer tower. Boots up fine and only needs a new HDD. I'm still relatively new to IT so I figured I'd use it as a hobby project. I'll probably install Linux Gnome on it and run it as a VPN server or maybe even see if I can use it as a theatre system through KODI or something. This should be possible, correct? Any suggestions/help is welcome. I'm basically just looking for feedback as to what is possible/what would be a good project to start on considering im still very green to all this.

Thanks!

Solution

Carpathian

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

I actually might look into that. I've also been reading into possibly installing Amahi to use as a VPN and media server, but dedicated ad blocking sounds nice as well.

theyeti87

Honorable

I use a raspberry pi 3 at home as a dedicated pihole. It's DNS level ad-block. Ads can "drive around your house but cannot walk up to the door to ring the bell." Without pihole, they can beat on your door all they want.

Carpathian

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Im really glad you mentioned this to me. I actually just finished a RetroPi build on a Raspberry Pi 3 so I'm a little familiar with the Pi 3 already. I think I might buy another one just to run it as a Pi-hole lol.

theyeti87

Honorable

Awesome! I think it's a handy little device, the Pi and Pihole. Once you have it set up, you need only to have it powered on somewhere and connected to your network, preferably over ethernet.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS