[SOLVED] Hold out or build a new machine?

mictian1980

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I have a 4690k and I was thinking of finding a 4790k to upgrade my rig and then game another 5 years with this set up. The other option is to build a new AMD rig when the new CPU/GPU release this fall/winter. Which way would you go? I mostly game. Lately I have noticed my CPU is hitting 100% load when playing the same games that I have always played. I figure going to 4790k would help alleviate that load somewhat?

Solution
I have a 4690k and I was thinking of finding a 4790k to upgrade my rig and then game another 5 years with this set up. The other option is to build a new AMD rig when the new CPU/GPU release this fall/winter. Which way would you go? I mostly game. Lately I have noticed my CPU is hitting 100% load when playing the same games that I have always played. I figure going to 4790k would help alleviate that load somewhat?
A very small jump to a 4790K will really provide you no noticeable performance difference. Complete waste of money

WildCard999

Titan
The 4790K could help but finding one for cheap may prove to be difficult and if it's going to cost more then like $150 then you'd probably be better off spending a bit more and going with a new platform.

Hitting 100% doesn't hurt anything so if the performance is still good for your needs then there's little reason to upgrade.

Have you overclocked that 4690K yet?

Reactions: mictian1980

mictian1980

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
The 4790K could help but finding one for cheap may prove to be difficult and if it's going to cost more then like $150 then you'd probably be better off spending a bit more and going with a new platform.

Hitting 100% doesn't hurt anything so if the performance is still good for your needs then there's little reason to upgrade.

Have you overclocked that 4690K yet?
I have it overclocked to 4Ghz at the moment. I never felt comfortable going beyond that.

WildCard999

Titan
I have it overclocked to 4Ghz at the moment. I never felt comfortable going beyond that.
Well there are a few guides and help here if you want to try to push it farther. With proper cooling and a bit of luck you could probably get around 4.4ghz under 1.3V.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

Anyways if your gaming performance is fine for you then there's really no reason to upgrade so continue saving.

If your unhappy with performance and not just the usage then consider going further on the overclock or upgrade to a new platform if you have the money to do so. I would only consider the 4790K if it's cheap and they usually aren't.

Reactions: mictian1980

mictian1980

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Well there are a few guides and help here if you want to try to push it farther. With proper cooling and a bit of luck you could probably get around 4.4ghz under 1.3V.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

Anyways if your gaming performance is fine for you then there's really no reason to upgrade so continue saving.

If your unhappy with performance and not just the usage then consider going further on the overclock or upgrade to a new platform if you have the money to do so. I would only consider the 4790K if it's cheap and they usually aren't.
Sorry for the tardiness of my reply. Thank you for your reply. I am going to end up building a new machine because I can't take running some of these new games at 30FPS with medium settings :( Im going for a 3700X build using my old 1070ti.

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
A very small jump to a 4790K will really provide you no noticeable performance difference. Complete waste of money

Solution