aosborn

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
I have a problem with my system with powering up. Here are my specs:
2.8Ghz 800FSB P4 on an Asus P4P800-Deluxe
GeForce FX5600 Ultra
1GB PC3200 DDR Dual Channel
Seagate 80gb SATA HDD

Everytime i need to power my system on I have to hold the power button down, for what seems to be 5-10 seconds. I know with some systems you need to hold it down to power down, for 4 seconds
But for my computer I dont have to hold it to power down, only to power up. I looked in BIOS and can't find anything, and not in any power management settings.
Does anyone else have this problem? It gets really annoying.
I'm sure it's a motherboard issue, maybe something in bios still, but I cant see anything in it or documentation or Asus' support page.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Actually, powering up should be instant - It's powering down that should take a few secs. It's really weird but there should be somewhere in the BIOS where you can control how long you need to hold the button when powering down, it might also affect powering up.

My anger and my wrath will be poured on this place on man and beast on the trees of the field and the fruit of the ground it will burn and not be quenched Jeremiah 7:20
I am ALPHA and OMEGA, burn!

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
your conection for the case are probably inverted. no joke.
check if all the little cable are connected like they should.

My own beast: Athlon 2700xp+ , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb ddr400. SO MUCH faster than my father pIII 550......

aosborn

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
You saying the little power switch cable from the switch may be inverted on the motherboard headers? I thought it just wouldnt work. I guess ill give that a try.
Thanks!

ClutchWorks

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2003
The power switch connectors do not matter if the are reversed it is just a momentary contact swith used with all atx style mobos

endyen

Splendid
Try swapping the reset leads with the power leads, and then see if the computer starts when you push on the reset button. (I would just short the power pins but that might be a bit scarry) If your rig starts no problem, the trouble is in the case switch. Is the button making good contact with the microswitch? If you cant take it back, take the micrswitch out and see if it's working.
On the other hand, if the reset switch wont start it when plugged in either way, the problem is the electronic "switch" on the board. Rma it. Good luck.