Holiday Buyers' Guide 2006, Part 6: Gifts For Geeks and Gamers

pschmid

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
In this article we recommend components and joysticks for gamers, and show you nifty gadgets, like the world's smallest dual-core PC, a remote-control helicopter for indoor or outdoor use, and a stylish Bluetooth watch to complement your cell phone. We also present you with a shopping list for SLR photography.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Good article, though I would definitely take exception to this comment:

"The Gigabyte Aurora.....it definitely belongs on the ubergeek wish list."

OUCH. There are many other preferable cases out there, either in form/function/budget, that would be more highly recommended. It's not that it's a bad case; rather, there are many others alot better.

Oh well, can't win em all.

Keep up the informative articles!

Personally, if you are going to recommend an "ubergeek" case, the Lian Li PC-V1200 or the Silverstone Tj09 would have been better choices. But the one thing I do have on that list, the Wii, totally kicks ass. Its actually something that feels new and fresh and not just a update of the previous console. Kudos to Nintendo.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Although not a new product - no uber geek would be caught without ready access to their Red Swingline Stapler

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/61b7/

If this needs to be explained to you - you are lacking in your geekiness.

Merry Geekness everyone!!!

cleeve

Illustrious
On the ASUS board, wouldn't the Striker 680i be considered the Intel version?

YES. The original article was written before the Striker was released. I submitted an update after the Striker was released but I guess it slipped between the cracks. I'll see if I can get them to update that.

As far as the cases, there's alot of room for debate I guess. Admittedly, the Aurora really struck an aesthetic chord for me, so I included it in the article.

I have a Wii as well, and it does rock!

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
That Wii console is a really fresh idea, kudos to Nintendo on that one.
I was excited to see a entry from the R/C field as i am also into R/C trucks, planes and heli's....here is my heli or should i say UFO for your ubergeek entry: http://www.raidentech.com/xurarecorcx1.html
It's called the XUFO and it is hot, it is so popular that there are cheap clones ut there trying to steal some of the market share.
It's got 4 electric motors and is gyro stabilized.

k61824

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
8800GTX as a gift... what are you, too rich to spend money elsewhere? 8O

Admittedly there is no card getting close to the performance as this one :? , but I do think it is a shame to be on the same list as the $30 motion sensing joystick. I mean you can even buy 2x Wii with the price of 1 8800GTX (or GTS for that matter)

Perhaps the SLR camera or the Core 2 mini-PC will be 2 of the only things matching it in price (if you go with the camera with lenses already) but then again, they work by themselves... you don't need uber attachments to get it working (like some mom will buy their kids with a camera or a computer of some sort, but not very likely to be a video card)

cleeve

Illustrious
I was excited to see a entry from the R/C field as i am also into R/C trucks, planes and heli's....

Cool! I am trying to do a thorough review a Honeybee RC helicopter. I hope there's enough interest here to make it worthwhile...

cleeve

Illustrious
some mom will buy their kids with a camera or a computer of some sort, but not very likely to be a video card

I disagree with you there, alot of Moms will buy their kids videocards if that's what they ask for. Some girlfriends or wives might, too.

Some people are more affluent than others, plain and simple. That's why the 8800 GTX and motion sensing joystick were on the same list... something for everybody. :)

k61824

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
I disagree with you there, alot of Moms will buy their kids videocards if that's what they ask for. Some girlfriends or wives might, too.

Some people are more affluent than others, plain and simple. That's why the 8800 GTX and motion sensing joystick were on the same list... something for everybody. :)

I simply wish I have such mom/wife/girlfriend... 8O

Edit: maybe moms/wives/girlfriends...

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I don't know why i don't do reviews, I'm retired, have nothing but time on my hands, have a good understanding of electronics and enjoy writing about stuff.......

uberalles

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
The micro r/c helicopter looks like a great gift. However, any true "geek" woulld realize that you would need 4 batteries, not three as stated in the article.

After you land after 15 mins. You have two charged batteries, and one discharged that will take 45 mins to charge. Therefore, you will have to wait 15 mins after the next two 15 min flights before the first battery is recharged.

You also need 3 chargers, not two.

yyrkoon

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
The SB-800 is also be capable of controlling and triggering additional SB-600 or SB-800 flashes, which is a feature that you will only want if you go professional.

Drop the "be" in front of the "capable", and this sentence would be grammatically correct(induced a short pause in my reading, as I was trying to figure out if I had missed something).