Hollenshead Leaves id Software After 17 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I guess that Zenimax business practices where not on par with Hollenshead view on the matter.

Zenimax has yet to release a good product, Oblivion was rushed out the door (see the amount of fixes that where introduced into the last community unofficial patch and you'll see what I'm talking about), so was Skyrim (poor console fans).

Sad :"( sniff sniff

nlreynolds80

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
While I also pick up a whiff of the stench of internal politics here, I must wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment of Zenimax having yet to release a "good product". Oblivion had its serious shortcomings, but not because of it being rushed. Sorry, but five years development is NOT "rushed'. Furthermore, you are just flat wrong about Skyrim being rushed. It is a very stable and well-polished game - albeit a bit mainstream - but definitely not rushed.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Skyrim was a good game overall, and they kept patching it like they do with all Elder Scrolls titles and (although it was playable for me at launch) it rapidly improved. Rage on the other hand had a terrible launch all around. So while I like id, their recent efforts have involved a lot of floundering about blindly. At this point, Zenimax taking a more active role could only improve things, because there's nowhere to go but up. Doom 4 was so bad they had to start over.

With that said, I would like to believe id still has a future, given their starry past.

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

I have to agree. I even remember it being tossed around that work with regards to Skyrim began a few months before Oblivion released. Obviously it wasn't development, but I find at least even 4 years a hell of a lot. And many seem to forget the size/magnitude of these games. The amount of game testers needed for this would be massive. With a game the size of CoD, yes, it would bother me, but with such an awesome and experienced modding community, as well as a developer that keeps an open ear to problems, it doesn't really bother me.

What you think is good though is your opinion. In terms of the market, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and New Vegas were very successful and rated very well. Yeah, I had my issues too, but I still enjoyed my hundreds of hours in each game...compared to other AAA games which consist of nothing at a full price.

Status
Not open for further replies.