Discussion Holy Bleep, My Internet Connection Is Fast!

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
(note to mods: I tried to make sure I'm not posting profanity in the thread title If it's not good enough, feel free to reword it to your liking)

Never realized how much my router was holding back my internet speed.

Tonight, my old enough to vote in the 2024 election router, also knows as an Asus RT-A66U completely bit the dust tonight.

So I went over to Walmart and treated myself to a middle of the road modern wifi 6 router. A TP--Link AX4400. I think it set me back like $140.

Prior to the switch, my internet connection clocked in on a speed test at like 20mbps. I was happy with that since I'm on 'ghetto' internet at $36 a month through Spectrum.

Just got done with a speed test, and now it's over 60mb a second, and the upload speed went from like 2mbps to over 11.

Guys, if you haven't done it in recent memory, spend some money and update your broadband router. You might be surprised at what you can unlock in speed by doing that.

Now to go slap myself silly for not doing this sooner. 😺

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
What modem do you have?
Just some modem Spectrum provided. Tried looking for who makes it, and I don't see the manufacturers name anywhere.

My point is that sometimes, that old gear you hang onto holds you back. I never realized how fast my internet connection actually is until I got with the program and went full wifi 6 out of necessity (my wifi card in my mainboard is already wifi 6 capable).

Even ghetto internet like I have is faster than you think.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
If you want to see what you actually get, plug your computer directly into the Spectrum modem. That will take everything out of the loop except your computer and the ethernet cable you plug into the modem.
I'll have to try that just to see what I really have under the hood. 😁