Holy Crap! Windows 8 Affecting CPU?

skele

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
My i5 3570k CPU used to be at 4.2GHz and now after I installed Windows 8.1 Pro, it won't let it pass 3.8GHz, oddly when I turned on my PC, it shuts off within a sec then came back on. I have ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard. What the heck happened here? I don't see any errors... I went to the BIOS, and tried to reset the settings and restarted. I went back to the BIOS and re-fix everything, I put core at 4.2GHz and pressed enter, it reverted back to 3.8GHz... I hope there's someone on here that knows what to do with this issues. Thanks in advance.

skele

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

I have had it for almost a year and I did save settings before exiting. I think it has something to do with Windows 8.1, I mean another thing might be an issue is that when I turned on PC, it turned off right after I turned on and then it turned back on itself. That was an unusual behavior... I can be wrong. Any solutions?

I'm guessing either Win8.1 or your BIOS is throttling back the CPU when not busy. Check your power settings in both locations. Under load it should speed back up.

The High Performance option should make it run at full speed all the time but then you'll probably have more power consumption, heat, and fan noise.

skele

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

I am using CPU-Z, Intel Tuning, and HWMonitor. I just installed Intel Tuning thinking that I can bypass by OCing thru Intel Tuning, I was wrong.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And @thx1138v2, I have Samsung Magican which automatically set high performance, and I set it by setting it to 25% min and 100% at max thru power option advance settings. I will give BIOS another try, but why do I have to go thru trouble just to get this fix? It's just cumbersome.

FYI to both, when I had win8, it was showing 4.2GHz, and then once I installed, its now showing 3.8GHz Maximum, I wonder if I can change turbo boost from disable to 4.4GHz?

Using CPU-Z and windows 8.1 I can tell you that CPU Z is only showing the default clock. Where it says specification mine reports: intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600k CPU @ 3.5. But under clocks it will jump to 4.5 Ghz (my current OC) while under load. Whatever your problem is, it is not caused by Windows 8.1

skele

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

I have watched how my CPU go up when its under load, by using IBT, Prime95 and cinebench. As I said I had 4.2GHz for almost a year. This just happened after I upgraded my Windows to 8.1. On Windows 8, it shows the speed fine. Is 3.8GHz good enough without any bottleneck with GTX 780?