Question Home Access VPN does not work properly

harshsyd

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Hello there,

My router is (D-Link DSL-2900AL) and it has an option to host a VPN server in itself. I successuly did one (it sets one up via L2TP) and I placed username password & PSK successfully. Then I launched the server and used my Android Phone to connect to the VPN, it successfully connects. I use DDNS to connect by the way.

I can also access the internet successfully and now my IP is also the same as my home network (even through my 4G, as I expected). My router is on 192.168.1.1, I also have a NAS (via HTTPS) at 192.168.1.18, another 2nd router, very old and does not use HTTPS, only uses HTTP at 192.168.1.1 and a HTTP device (NVR) at 192.168.1.50. I have port forwarding for ports 5001,5000,5005,5006 for my NAS as advised by Synology.

So on the VPN via my phone, when I enter 192.168.1.1, I successfully can open my main router page, but when I type 192.168.1.18 or 192.168.1.2, it does not open/respond. However weirdly, 192.168.1.50 (which is my NVR), that opens. So it's 50 50, half open half does not.

What's wrong? Do I need to do any port forwarding once I've established a VPN? I don't think so. To be honest, all I want to achieve here is that when I am overseas from my home, I can VPN into it, and act like I am sitting right at home in my Wi-Fi network. Is this the right way to do this?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
There should be no duplicate IP addresses - e.g. 192.168.1.1

Only one router - most likely the D-Link should have DHCP enabled.

Why the second router? Are you using it just as a switch? Make and model for the second router?

For the NAS and the NVR you should be using static IP addresses that are outside of the D-Link router's allowed DHCP IP address range.

And those static IP addresses should be reserved on the DHCP router via the respective device MACs.

harshsyd

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
The main router has fixed IPs for NAS (infact every device). They never change.

The 2nd router is in my garage with seperate wifi name. It has no DHCP. It is an old NGN2000 NETGEAR or something. Not sure if exact model.

I'm sure it's something to do with the main router hosting VPN blocking access.