[SOLVED] Home automation recommendations ?

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Back after a while!

We are replacing the 40 years old windows and doors as the house has become colder and issues with them cannot be fixed. It’s time for a replacement. It is a detached property and we moved in Jan 2015.

We have a Virgin business broadband, a Cisco switch connecting the entire house over CAT 6 and wifi serviced by two Unifi ceiling-mounted AC Pros. We have a Hive thermostat.

We are seriously considering home automation and are already in touch with Laxone partner, who will provide us a quote..The first round would replace :
  • the switches for all the LEDs. Some are standard and a few are dimmable;
  • a few sockets. Most of the sockets will stay;
  • radiators
  • some curtains and blinds, while the curtains in the unused bed rooms will stay;
  • see if the Gardena sprinklers can be integrated;
  • integrate connectivity to Apple 4K TV, LG TV (4 years old), radios plus we want to hook the AVRs and speakers, which we want to acquire; and,
  • smart doors - not sure and not comfortable at this juncture, although would be nice to have the auto-lock functionality as I tend to forget locking the door some times.
We would prefer remote access while away — VPN or Apple Home Kit. We won’t use the manufacturer cloud services for privacy reasons.

I would rather take a professional help to design and implement.

I need some advice and recommendations on the following :

1. What’s view on the above please? This will be a combination of wired and wireless using the systems like Laxone.
  2. What are the alternatives - KXN, which distributed vs concentrated in the case of Laxone.
  3. Smart doors - does it work ? What are the pros and cons please ? We need to be clear on this as new doors will be purchased.
  4. Where does a full wireless home automation would stand vs Laxone ? The concerns on this will be wifi security of the IOT devices. We can use the Cisco switch to create a VLAN and isolate it from the main LAN. I am aware that we will be seeing Matter standard kicking-in the middle of the year. The choices of the Thread compliant products limited at this juncture

Solution
You are going to pay a large premium both because you pay someone to do this and to use equipment that has a extra premium built into it because of the brand.

I would spend some time at a place like home depot and look at all the home automation stuff they sell. They have completely aisles of this stuff now days. This is mostly so you can get a idea of what the parts cost.

I am not sure what you mean by smart doors? Do you mean it has cameras,the door lock. I guess they also sell wireless alarms for doors and windows. It depends on what you are talking about.

I guess you could get a door lock that was somehow integrated into some system. Most I have seen either let you punch in a code or talk directly to a cell phone...
You are going to pay a large premium both because you pay someone to do this and to use equipment that has a extra premium built into it because of the brand.

I would spend some time at a place like home depot and look at all the home automation stuff they sell. They have completely aisles of this stuff now days. This is mostly so you can get a idea of what the parts cost.

I am not sure what you mean by smart doors? Do you mean it has cameras,the door lock. I guess they also sell wireless alarms for doors and windows. It depends on what you are talking about.

I guess you could get a door lock that was somehow integrated into some system. Most I have seen either let you punch in a code or talk directly to a cell phone app. I have never seen a huge need, they have to have key slots for when the batteries go dead.

Reactions: SSri
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Smart door - I have a Schlage that is internally smart.
No matter how it is opened, 30 seconds later it locks itself. Keypad, key, knob from inside...

It does not talk to my phone, or any outside connectivity.

I never have to worry about "Is it locked?". Unless I just opened it...it IS locked.

Reactions: SSri

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Yes. This is the part, which I hate about it, especially, I am happy to carry out the automation myself - minus electricals.

• If we go full wireless vs the premium brand like KXN and Laxone, are they worth the premium than the wireless mode like using Apple Home Kit?
  • We can't get rid of the electrician be it wireless or wired. Definitely, an electrician is required as the ethernet will replace the existing power cables on those smart switches.
  • What's the view if we were to choose the full wireless route? Do we need to wait for Matter to come in to force to use Thread?

• That's a good idea. We don't have a home depot in the UK. Perhaps, Costco will give an idea.
  • Are there any DIY hardware route, which we could think of please? May be build a standalone (not sure VM) is a good idea or Rasberry Pi 4.0 ? Is that enough in terms of scalability and performance perspective?
  • Open source automation software as an alternative premium brands - openHAB; how matured are they?
  • What do you guys think of HomeKit? I guess, the options are limited? We are apple family except Amazon Prime! :)
am not sure what you mean by smart doors? Do you mean it has cameras,the door lock. I guess they also sell wireless alarms for doors and windows. It depends on what you are talking about.

Smart door - I have a Schlage that is internally smart.
No matter how it is opened, 30 seconds later it locks itself. Keypad, key, knob from inside...

It does not talk to my phone, or any outside connectivity.

I never have to worry about "Is it locked?". Unless I just opened it...it IS locked.

Like USAFRet indicated. I will check Schlage. We do not want a CCTV or wireless call bell. We have an ADT. We will just ask them to add a CCTV plus call feature, if we want video caller bell.

TRENDING THREADS