Question Home Automation ?

RickVS

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
I just switched out my router today that was connected to my home's IoTs on a guest network. The problem I am running into is that I don't have an easy way to change the network on these devices. My nest thermostat did it with ease. Alexa did it with ease. My other switches and plugs? Not so great. There generally isn't a software interface that can easily do this even if you are using the app. Also, some of these fly by night companies aren't around when you need them. Can someone suggest a company with a suite of switches, plugs and whatnot that have good software interfaces that would enable me to easily choose a different network in the future? I'd prefer not to invest in systems with hubs. Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
I just switched out my router today that was connected to my home's IoTs on a guest network. The problem I am running into is that I don't have an easy way to change the network on these devices. My nest thermostat did it with ease. Alexa did it with ease. My other switches and plugs? Not so great. There generally isn't a software interface that can easily do this even if you are using the app. Also, some of these fly by night companies aren't around when you need them. Can someone suggest a company with a suite of switches, plugs and whatnot that have good software interfaces that would enable me to easily choose a different network in the future? I'd prefer not to invest in systems with hubs. Thanks.
What brand wireless networking are we talking about? If it is a UniFI network, then many IOT devices don't like a wireless network with 2.4 and 5Ghz having the same SSID. The typical approach is to create a SSID that is 2.4Ghz ONLY. That usually fixes most problems.

Reactions: lantis3
You can change out the network hardware as often as you like, and so long as you use the same SSID and password as before, you won't ever need to reconfigure any client devices.

Plus if you reconfigure your old router as an AP then you could continue to use its guest network as before, just for those IOT things you can't configure any more because Android updates have since rendered their apps useless. Most cheap IOT stuff doesn't even have a 5GHz radio onboard so couldn't even know you have a 5GHz network

People who use IOT devices from fly-by-night companies usually aren't too concerned about security and their firmware never gets updated anyway, so APs should be configured with a Key Renewal interval of "0" meaning disabled for maximum reliability, at the cost of a slight security risk. That's how consumer grade stuff like TP-Link routers and APs come set as default.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Last edited:

RickVS

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
Thanks. I'm replacing all of the no name cheap switches and plugs with TP-Link / Kasa so that everything can be managed by the same app and I can get support if needed. I only have a few so not a terrible bit of e-waste.