Monstarz

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hey everyone. I am still learning about computers, however, I built a system and wanted to get your feedback on what you think.

(Chip) - Intel Core i7-920
(Board) - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel x58 ATX Motherboard
(Power) - Corsair 850TX 850 W ATX 12v 2.2
(OS) - Vista Premium Home 64 Bit
(Drive) Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" x2
(Hard Drive) Wester Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
(RAM) - 6 Gigs
(Video Card) - Nvidia GTX 285

I had two gtx 285's but one card was defective and I sent it back. Newegg didnt have any more of the cards, so, I am curious if I should still go for the SLI setup?

Can you give me some feedback on the overall rig and what you think about getting a second GTX 285?

Newegg does not carry the BFG Tech card any more, they do carry a EVGA card, would these be compatable?

tecmo34

Administrator
Overall a good system!!

Have you sent the GTX 285 back to the BFG Tech for RMA replacement? If you had two cards, I would work on getting the one back. A SLI setup is strong, specially with the GTX 285's. I would say it is the second best setup out on the market besides two 5870's in Crossfire.

If you can't get BFG to except a RMA, I would not spend the money on a second GTX285. You'll be fine with one card and look to upgrade to the GTX3xx or an ATI 5870 early next year or when games can no longer be maxed out for you.

Depending on when you purchased the system, I would've recommend Windows 7 Pro 64-bit over Vista. It is a better system and uses less system resources. Also, I would've recommended against the VelociRaptor for your OS drive. For that price, you could've got a good SSD and kill the speeds of the VRaptor. Also, the new Samsung Spinpoint F3's are pretty much just a fast as the VRaptor for a lot less money... this is all dependent on when you purchased the system, since these may not be out in the market.

Monstarz

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the feedback. I was able to get newegg to replace the bad card. They issued me a refund because they no longer carry the card i originally bought So I would have to buy a EVGA card to replace it. After reading an article in the video card section of this fourm, I have learned there is no compatability issue here using two different manufactures cards.

The SSD drives were very tempting but would have been an additional 400 onto the cost of the rig. I am new to all this and didnt know how strong the increase in performence would be compared to dollars spent.

Based on your feedback, I will buy another 285 card to complete the SLI connection again. Windows 7 was not out when I bought my system, however, I will look to upgrade to it shortly. Is it really that much better? (its going to be like another 100 which is why im curious how much better it is).

I built this system about 4 months ago.

Thanks for your feed back. Keep them coming.

I will be adding another 285 and just use another manufactures card.

P.S. This is a gaming machine.

tecmo34

Administrator
I would not purchase Windows 7, if you already have Vista. I would wait for SP1 to be release or get a copy for Christmas (if you celebrate it) or your birthday... which means it is FREE :D

Here is a review of Windows 7 vs XP vs Vista, so you can decide for yourself to wait or upgrade... http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/windows_7_review