Home build vs prebuilt

ms5555

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I can't seem to justify a home built pc anymore. Micro center prices are just too good lately. I know most people say buying a prebuilt you get shoddy parts, but look at this one. EVGA psu (from pics), asrock mobo, thermaltake case. Only thing I don't know what it is is the gpu, so it's probably reference, and the memory brand or hard drives. I know ssd reliability can vary a lot with brands but the rest doesn't concern me that much.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/474127/G221_Desktop_Computer

For comparison I did a build off newegg. Normally microcenter way undercuts newegg on cpus but newegg is running a sale right now on i5-7500 so it's cheaper and no tax. I did the exact same cpu, mobo, case, what I think is the psu, then did cheapest 6gb 1060 I could find, same for 2x8gb ram and the hard drives. I got $890.

cpu 180
case 45
mobo 70
ram 115
psu 40
hd 50
ssd 80
dvd 20
gpu 290

And that doesn't include windows! Which I know, everyone now says to transfer their oem copies, it's easy ya ya, but buying a new one pre installed is even easier.

They have great deals on higher end systems too, but I only play at 1080p, don't do an office applications where I need more than 4 cores or a beefy i7, so this is fine for me.

So what do you think? Is home built still drastically better?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That's an EVGA W1, which is a kinda junky hec-made PSU I'd want nothing to do with.

It's actually far more reasonably priced than you'll typically find pre-builts. Problem is, of course, you're stuck with all their choices in configuration. Missing information on brands knocks some real value off the build (and you could have faster RAM too). And an i5-7500 is kinda awkwardly placed right now; Ryzen pricing really takes the shine off the middle class of Intel's lineup.

But as pre-builts go, you could do far worse.

ms5555

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I'm not that impressed with ryzen to be honest. I have pretty much no need for 6 cores, which is where the 1500s come in to compete with intel. And from every benchmark I've seen they need an overclock to beat i5s. You're really just trying to future proof with them at 6 cores. If I were doing a home build I would consider them, but prebuilts there still aren't a lot out there.

I didn't know that about that cpu, so that could be a concern. Thanks. SSD I'm also worried about. Rest not so much.

TRENDING THREADS