Question Home built NAS solution for baskup?

dentfuse

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
Hello all,

Recently I've thinking of making a basic NAS server for my backup need to basically get the photos and other important documents off my phones and on something more central. I looked around and most people recommended FreeNAS. Upon looking into it, it seems really powerful but it's mainly built for servers having a lot of hard drives. I however have an old system lying around which I plan on repurposing. If I remember correctly, it has dual core CPU and 2gigs of ram, not the best. I'm planning on having 2 1tb HDD, maybe together as 2tb capacity, or having 1 as the primary and the 2nd as a secondary backup of the first.

I'm not really sure what best way is to go ahead with this. One solution that came to my mind is to setup a FTP server and have scripts/macros on phones which automatically upload data once they detect the home wifi connected. What would be the ideal configuration for the harddrives? Is there some better option available than the FTP route? What other safety precautions should be taken to ensure the HDD don't fail prematurely?

Any help is highly appreciated! Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Hello all,

Recently I've thinking of making a basic NAS server for my backup need to basically get the photos and other important documents off my phones and on something more central. I looked around and most people recommended FreeNAS. Upon looking into it, it seems really powerful but it's mainly built for servers having a lot of hard drives. I however have an old system lying around which I plan on repurposing. If I remember correctly, it has dual core CPU and 2gigs of ram, not the best. I'm planning on having 2 1tb HDD, maybe together as 2tb capacity, or having 1 as the primary and the 2nd as a secondary backup of the first.

I'm not really sure what best way is to go ahead with this. One solution that came to my mind is to setup a FTP server and have scripts/macros on phones which automatically upload data once they detect the home wifi connected. What would be the ideal configuration for the harddrives? Is there some better option available than the FTP route? What other safety precautions should be taken to ensure the HDD don't fail prematurely?

Any help is highly appreciated! Thanks!
For a two drive NAS, a commercial chassis from Synology, QNAP, or Thecus would be the recommendation. They are plug and play. Windows file share, FTP, media server all included.

dentfuse

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
For a two drive NAS, a commercial chassis from Synology, QNAP, or Thecus would be the recommendation. They are plug and play. Windows file share, FTP, media server all included.
Apart from making a NAS, I'm also looking to make use of this old machine and not just throw it out. If I upgrade the ram to 4gig, will it be a viable option to run TrueNAS installed on a seperate SSD, for 2x 1TB HDD?