Home built PC will not POST

LittleKaz

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
Just ordered brand new PC and installed everything myself. When I go to power on all the fans/cooling start up. The DRAM_LED is continuously on. I have followed the motherboard user guide on how to reset it so that it tests memory settings. I also have followed the guide on this website (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems) with no luck. I have swapped RAM around and tried using 1 stick. I have reseated all of the connections

Here are the components that I am using.
Motherboard: Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1
Video Card: EVGA GTX 980 4gb
PSU: Sorsair HX850 850W
CPU: I7 4790K
Mem: GSKILL F3-1600C9Q-32GXM 4X8Gb

Pulled everything else just to use bare essentials to try and get a post.

Thanks in advance.

stormflakes

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

have you tried using 2 sticks? i'm not sure, but i think memory works in pairs.

LittleKaz

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
I held it down for about 10 seconds and the system went through a restart. The LED began flashing and after about a minute it went solid again. Tried holding it down when I had 1,2 and 4 RAM chips in it

Yimman

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Hello LittleKaz,

I reviewed the link you provided and it is very detailed, but misses the most basic point. In order for your computer to complete POST, your computer's CPU, video card and memory must work.

Remove your 980 and boot with the onboard video. If you are still unable to get into the CMOS, you have a bad CPU. If you are able to get into the CMOS using onboard video, then the 980 is bad. You can try booting a known good computer with the 980 to verify that the video card works.

Yimman

LittleKaz

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

I pulled the 980 out already and tested it with onboard video still didnt work. Could it also be the CMOS battery?

not really... have you pulled the motherboard out of the system and rested it on something like a wood table, or pizzabox? then tried to power the system on? gotta make sure you don't have a short or grounding issue in your case

if you have the board out of the case then it's the cpu or motherboard that's DOA. your guess as to which one is toast. no real way to test it unless you know someone with a working haswell motherboard who's willing to let you put your cpu into it.