Home Desktop Networking Issue

visuore

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
Hello everyone, I turn here because I couldnt find the answer on google ;(. In advance I'd like to say I'm posting this for a friend, so if it takes me a second to answer, it's his fault. That aside, he is having a problem with his computer randomly disconnecting all the time.

His computer will randomly disconnect (lag, not being able to use the internet at all) from the internet. Usually every few minutes for about 10-20 seconds and then it will reconnect automatically, but it can vary in length for the intervals and duration. It can last from a split second, to completely disconnecting from the internet (as opposed to the lag/disconnection), being very sporadic.

He connects through a D-Link signal booster because he used to have minor ping problems from being down a floor from the router.

Notes:
  • He can't connect directly, his router is too far away/he can't move it

It ONLY happens to his desktop computer, phones and other things are fine

When he goes over to my house it is fine as well

I've tried fixing this and I can't figure it out :c

It sounds like a radio signal propagation problem. They can seem weird. There is probably something between his desktop and the router that is blocking or deflecting the signal. It could be something as simple as someone walking through a room if it is a weak signal.

I chased one case for hours and it turned out to be a large metal art object mounted on a wall that was reflecting the signal that set up some weird harmonics in combination with a metal frame building. I took the art work off the wall and it worked fine.

Try moving the desktop around in the room he wants to use it in. Or at least try different locations for the signal booster if possible.

I recently saw an ad for a signal strength meter that would enable you to map the signal strength in your house and find blind spots but don't remember where I saw it at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS