home directories on a different domain

A win2000 DC on domain1 will log my users in, but I want
\\serverondomain2\users\username to be their home directory. Both DC's on
each domain have 2 NIC's in, but each domain has diff't IP ranges.

How can I allow access and set NTFS permissions for users home dirs on a
different domain?

In news:6DD3659D-AACE-44E7-A6FB-0AB0E10779DB@microsoft.com,
Fabrussio <Fabrussio@discussions.microsoft.com> made this post, which I then
commented about below:
> A win2000 DC on domain1 will log my users in, but I want
> \\serverondomain2\users\username to be their home directory. Both
> DC's on each domain have 2 NIC's in, but each domain has diff't IP
> ranges.
>
> How can I allow access and set NTFS permissions for users home dirs
> on a different domain?

If the domains are in the same forest, the trust is already in place. You
will need to add the user group from Domain1 to the Domain2's user folder
share and NTFS permissions. Once done, you can use the %username% variable
in the user account's properties to establish the home folder, such as
\\serverondomain2\users\%username%.

If the domain is not in the same forest, the trust must be established prior
to the above steps.

Also, keep in mind, multihomed DCs are very problematic. It can lead to
duplicate names, mutliple DNS SRV entries and the clients will get the wrong
address and not be able to connect, logon, and a host of other problems. It
can be tweaked by a list of registry alterations and other modifications to
alter a DC's default behavior to force it to work, but it's not normally
recommended to alter default DC functionality.

Unless the two NICs are teamed (to load balance all traffic on the one
subnet), it is advised and highly recommended not to multihome a DC, but
rather a member server for whatever the purpose of accessing both subnets.
The DCs will still communicate via your already established network
infrastructure (routers), provided it's functioning.

--
Regards,
Ace

confers no rights.

If this post is viewed at a non-Microsoft community website, and you were to
respond to it through that community's website, I may not see your reply
unless that website posts replies back to the original Microsoft forum.
Therefore, please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup
this thread originated in so all can benefit or ensure the web community
posts it back to the original forum.

Microsot Certified Trainer