Question Home entertainment build

Mar 3, 2019
So me and my family were thinking about buying a used apple tv or better chrome cast to watch movies and shows in 4k since we have a 4k tv. I was wondering if maybe building a cheap pc for entertainment would be a better idea. I built this on pc part picker anyone have any suggestions or think this is a bad idea. I dont want to spend too much and thought this can do some small games and emulators as well. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dy63P3

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019
Also I know this might sound dumb but could I possibly plug in the cable box into the pc like how cable can be plugged into an xbox and be controlled?

May 1, 2019
Looks good though ideally I'd get faster memory as Ryzen works even better with high speed DDR4, also get a 80+ bronze PSU if it fits in your budget? I also assume you have a case & storage ready.
Also I know this might sound dumb but could I possibly plug in the cable box into the pc like how cable can be plugged into an xbox and be controlled?
No, it won't.

You could list the games, emulators you want to run here. Just to get a better idea if more needs to be done wrt parts you listed.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019
Looks good though ideally I'd get faster memory as Ryzen works even better with high speed DDR4, also get a 80+ bronze PSU if it fits in your budget? I also assume you have a case & storage ready.
No, it won't.

You could list the games, emulators you want to run here. Just to get a better idea if more needs to be done wrt parts you listed.
well its mostly for streaming 4k movies so ideally i want to spend around the same as an apple tv so the gaming is just extra if it can run small things like old mortal kombat and n64 emulators that would be great but not needed