[SOLVED] Home Ethernet Setup Guidance & Detail

Apr 4, 2021
Hello - first-time poster, here. Recently remodeled our house and I wired in ethernet cables into most rooms in our home. Next is the process of finishing the system with the most unknown part of the process for me.

Any advice and recommendations for specific direction on how to create a "network hub?"

From some cursory googling, it seems like we 100% will need a Network Switch, and could likely utilize a Patch Panel, as well. From there it sounds like we will need to connect these devices to our router/modem (currently have a Century Link combination router/modem and an Orbi Mesh router which I still need to set up.

Any recommendations for articles that explain the process of setting up this "hub" to make this come to life? Looking for as much specificity as possible, as I am an IT novice? I diagram of what this system would look like would likely be helpful, also.

Of course, if anyone is able to take the time to explain how to set up my ethernet network, I would appreciate it. Looking for a step-by-step guide and details on the role each component plays.

THANK YOU!

Solution
A patch panel just makes thing more organized. If you had bare cables it tends to be easier for a beginner to terminate cable to a patch panel than to put on mulitple rj45 plugs. Since all you cables are already terminated it going to be simpler to just plug them into a switch rather than try to add a patch panel.

It depends on how many security cameras you have and what type of access you need to the camera network. I have a DVR type box with 2 nics. One is on the security network and the other on the main network. This isolates the cameras themselves from the main network. Mostly because security cameras are known to have very poor security :). Lot of backdoors have been found in many models so they are best...

USAFRet

Titan
Basically:

router-> switch->devices.

All the room wires need to lead down to a common location. That's where the switch is.
The switch is then connected to the router.

Patch panel, maybe. Depending on how you want to terminate your room wires.

Apr 4, 2021
Thank you! Of course, I have my cables in the end destination terminated in wall jacks in rooms in our house. The other end of the cables have male ethernet plugs (terminology?). If I was to utilize a Patch Panel, am I able to run the male plugs into the Patch Panel or would I need to wire them without the male plugs?

Basically:

router-> switch->devices.

All the room wires need to lead down to a common location. That's where the switch is.
The switch is then connected to the router.

Patch panel, maybe. Depending on how you want to terminate your room wires.

Apr 4, 2021
Sorry to add another layer of complexity to my primary question. I would like to add a wired security camera system down the road, also. Does it make sense to run these Ethernet cables to a switch and/or patch panel? In this case, would it make sense to employ a separate switch? Or, would it be more justified to have a patch panel as a component of my system? TY!

A patch panel just makes thing more organized. If you had bare cables it tends to be easier for a beginner to terminate cable to a patch panel than to put on mulitple rj45 plugs. Since all you cables are already terminated it going to be simpler to just plug them into a switch rather than try to add a patch panel.

It depends on how many security cameras you have and what type of access you need to the camera network. I have a DVR type box with 2 nics. One is on the security network and the other on the main network. This isolates the cameras themselves from the main network. Mostly because security cameras are known to have very poor security :). Lot of backdoors have been found in many models so they are best isolated from the internet.

The other reason to use a seperate switch for cameras is many are PoE powered and it is cheaper to buy smaller switches with PoE ports than larger ones.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry to add another layer of complexity to my primary question. I would like to add a wired security camera system down the road, also. Does it make sense to run these Ethernet cables to a switch and/or patch panel? In this case, would it make sense to employ a separate switch? Or, would it be more justified to have a patch panel as a component of my system? TY!
Is this a PoE camera?

If so, just add another PoE enabled switch, 5 or 8 port (future expansion).

For my PoE cameras, I have this particular 5 port switch:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HZFY3F

Works just great with my 2x Reolink cameras. Soon to be 4 of them.