Question Home game server.

dannyXD

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013
Hello,
Just looking for some help with what parts will be the best for my needs.

I'm looking to start self hosting game servers for ARK Ascended, Minecraft, Conan and a few other games . I'll probably use it to store Steam games and general files from my PC to free up space too.
But ARK will be the main game running a cluster when new maps are released. I'll have other game servers ready just incase anyone want to use the.

I'm looking at getting a used HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9, mainly because I can get one pretty cheap.

For the CPU I have 2 options (Single or Dual):
Intel Xeon E5-2687W V3 10-Core 3.10GHz
Intel Xeon E5-2687W V4 12-Core 3.00GHz

RAM Shouldn't be an issue, but I'll start with 128GB DDR4 2400MHz

After looking around and reading what others have said, ARK Ascended needs 2 Cores and 12-16GB ram per map.

I'm completely new to servers so I have a lot to learn, like do I use windows or linux, how to setup the firewall to protect my network. Will be fun setting it up and breaking things on the way.

Edit: Someone recommended I use CubeCoders to run the servers, I was thinking windows server with a load of VMs for each server we want to run.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,
Just looking for some help with what parts will be the best for my needs.

I'm looking to start self hosting game servers for ARK Ascended, Minecraft, Conan and a few other games . I'll probably use it to store Steam games and general files from my PC to free up space too.
But ARK will be the main game running a cluster when new maps are released. I'll have other game servers ready just incase anyone want to use the.

I'm looking at getting a used HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9, mainly because I can get one pretty cheap.

For the CPU I have 2 options (Single or Dual):
Intel Xeon E5-2687W V3 10-Core 3.10GHz
Intel Xeon E5-2687W V4 12-Core 3.00GHz

RAM Shouldn't be an issue, but I'll start with 128GB DDR4 2400MHz

After looking around and reading what others have said, ARK Ascended needs 2 Cores and 12-16GB ram per map.

I'm completely new to servers so I have a lot to learn, like do I use windows or linux, how to setup the firewall to protect my network. Will be fun setting it up and breaking things on the way.

Edit: Someone recommended I use CubeCoders to run the servers, I was thinking windows server with a load of VMs for each server we want to run.
First I would recommend looking at an ML350 rather than a DL380. Same basic motherboard but larger case so bigger, quieter fans.
Hosting game servers may violate the terms of service from your ISP, so you should check that.