[SOLVED] Home gaming server

Solution
There's really nothing better out there at the moment, so you're set for awhile.

I already had the best gpu so saving money on the build was not a concern. In the past I always bought the budget option mostly because of lack of funds and remember feeling slight disappointment. This time the only things I dislike from the build are the small case and the big ugly cooler. The build is soo tight and cramped my big hands can't reach anything in there. So In a year or two I want to buy a large case and fitting more oc friendly cooling will also become priority to keep the build feeling fresh and speedy. But for now it's running better than any build I've ever had and it actually looks pretty cool in the white case with all the white rgb...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Any plans to overclock that cpu?
If yes, then you're looking at a 360mm AIO, or custom loop, as even the NH-D15 can't beat that kind of heat.

You'd likely be better served with the 9700k or Ryzen 3700x. Only a handful of games use more than 8 threads.

What's your monitor?

zadermac

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Right now I am very happy with the performance it plays all games I've thrown at it in 4k at 60fps plus. I don't plan to upgrade for many years and ill likely not have the money to do so. As for ocing I never have before but I wanted the option to do so a year or 3 down the track when things started feeling sluggish. I have a 4k 43" monitor nothing fancy but I have money set aside for a 1440p ultra wide monitor in the future but I mostly play rpgs and survival games so high refresh rate monitors have never really caught my attention.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see...
Well, I'm not telling you to return anything.

At higher resolutions, the choice of cpu doesn't matter as much. The bulk of the workload at 4k is going to be on the gpu. You would have saved some money with one of the other 2 cpus I mentioned earlier.
It's the other way around at lower resolutions.

My statement still stands regarding future plans to overclock the 9900k. You need liquid cooling for OC'ing it.
I'm speaking from experience as I have the 9900k's big cousin, the 7820x. I currently have an NH-D15S(3-fans) on it, and can't keep it below 80C @ just 4.5ghz, even though I had it delidded.
Still in the process of fine tuning the OC, but I plan to move to custom loop later this year.

zadermac

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I already had the best gpu so saving money on the build was not a concern. In the past I always bought the budget option mostly because of lack of funds and remember feeling slight disappointment. This time the only things I dislike from the build are the small case and the big ugly cooler. The build is soo tight and cramped my big hands can't reach anything in there. So In a year or two I want to buy a large case and fitting more oc friendly cooling will also become priority to keep the build feeling fresh and speedy. But for now it's running better than any build I've ever had and it actually looks pretty cool in the white case with all the white rgb despite the big ugly steel cooler lol.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's really nothing better out there at the moment, so you're set for awhile.

I already had the best gpu so saving money on the build was not a concern. In the past I always bought the budget option mostly because of lack of funds and remember feeling slight disappointment. This time the only things I dislike from the build are the small case and the big ugly cooler. The build is soo tight and cramped my big hands can't reach anything in there. So In a year or two I want to buy a large case and fitting more oc friendly cooling will also become priority to keep the build feeling fresh and speedy. But for now it's running better than any build I've ever had and it actually looks pretty cool in the white case with all the white rgb despite the big ugly steel cooler lol.
1)I bought this CM H500P Mesh a little over half a year ago, modded the roof, and I'm already looking to replace it - want a larger case for the custom loop I'm planning to do.
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 2 VS Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL...

2)I don't particularly care for smaller cases either(large hands). It's just a little bit of an inconvenience as I have to take certain parts out when I want to work around in the case.

3)That's the only real downside to air coolers. The greater the cooling performance, the bigger and bulkier it is.
This has been converting more people to snag up AIOs. The downside to these are that:
-they aren't cost effective compared to air cooling, especially below the $100USD mark.
-more parts that can fail - pump, radiator fan(s), and loose fittings VS just the fan(s) on an air cooled heatsink.
-if even one of the above on an AIO fails, you literally can't continue to use it until fixed. Not the case for air coolers in case of fan failures, as the heatsink can be passively cooled.
-leaks. While the odds of one happening are less than 10%, it's still there - and prepare to lose some hardware - that's why you don't run an AIO past it's warranty.

4)Air cooling for smaller cases - case fans are closer, thus precious hardware gets more direct airflow VS Fewer options for liquid cooling.
Liquid cooling for larger cases - room for bigger/more radiators, more EVERYTHING really VS Slightly(very) less effective case cooling in an air cooled setup due to cool air having to travel a greater distance to hardware within the case.

Uhh, I got a little carried away... XD

Solution