[SOLVED] Home Lab for a SQL Server DBA: Intel NUC or AMD Ryzen?

MattyZDBA

Commendable
Jun 15, 2020
Hello,

The last time I had made a build was 10 years ago and a lot has changed. I took a crack at using the MicroCenter and NewEgg system builders but have been getting stymied by the GPU and Case selections (not to mention whether I will need water cooling or a bigger PSU). If I need to add more selections for a easier critique, just let me know

Thank you,
Matty Z

-----------

Approximate Purchase Date: by end of week
Budget Range: $2,500 before taxes and rebates, excluding monitor
System Usage from Most to Least Important:
  • Home Lab for a SQL Server DBA (Mon-Fri up ~2 hours/evening)
    • Scenario 1: Running up to six VMs concurrently to simulate a domain controller, a two node SQL failover cluster, 1-2 availability group secondaries and a file share witness
      • Figure 4 vCore, 16 GB vRAM and 50 GB disk space per SQL guest
    • Scenario 2: Running two VMs concurrently to simulate a domain controller and a data warehouse (figure 64 GB RAM, minimum of 250 GB disk space) with a Power BI server installation.
    • Developer Tools for the Above (Visual Studio, SSMS, Azure Data Studio, Power BI Desktop)
  • Non-FPS Gaming (weekends)
    • Open world type games (The Long Dark)
    • Real-Time and Turn-Based Strategy games (Civ 6, Tropico 6)
    • Roleplaying Genre (Planescape: TON, Wasteland 2)
Are you buying a monitor: Yes
  • Currently have an old-model ViewSonic VX2250
  • Either adding a similar one or going for a widescreen
Do you need to buy OS: Yes
  • Will go with Windows 10 Pro but will leverage MSDN licensing for all the SQL Server, Visual Studio, Power BI components if not using trial/community editions
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing)
  • Newegg.com
  • Amazon.com
  • Microcenter.com
  • Scotch Plains, NJ, USA (one town over from NewEgg in Edison, NJ)
Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to upgrade to Intel CPU)
  • Intel NUC i7 options or AMD Ryzen 9 or AMD Threadripper for CPU
  • Corsair, G.Skill or Crucial for Memory
  • Western Digital, Samsung, SANDisk for storage
  • Open minded on GPU (have used ATI Radeon and nVidia GeForce in the past)
  • Can go with full tower or mid-tower design. Don’t mind spending a touch more for RGB lighting (my 12yo wants to help with the build, maybe get a budget build setup for Christmas)
Overclocking: Maybe
  • Only if viable for the home lab
SLI or Crossfire: No
  • Probably not needed for my gaming preferences
Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x768

Additional Comments:
  • Wondering if I can plug in older HDDs from previous builds to check for files for backup but sending the spindles to be crushed
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:
  • Looking to up my SQL Server skills beyond certs with on-hand experience I can’t get at office
  • Current gaming laptop (ASUS ROG G75IJT with i7-4720HQ quad core and 16 GB RAM), strains running two minimally configured VMs.
Proposed Build Lists So Far
Starting from scratch but looking at two approaches
  • Approach 1: Two Intel NUCs with an entry-level switch to connect, NAS enclosure for purchase later in the year
    • Intel® NUC 10 Performance Kit - NUC10i7FNHC as a foundation with 64 GB RAM, a 2.5” SSD and an M.2 NVe SSD, both at least 500 GB
    • SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4-2666 (M471A4G43MB1-CTD)
    • Kingston SV300S37A 2.5” SSD 500 GB (on Intel validated list but price not appealing)
    • Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500 M.2 SSD
    • Need ideas on the switch for a networking novice like me.
    • Need ideas for the NAS (thinking Synology brand) but also want to know ease of configuration in a virtual SAN role
  • Approach 2: AMD Ryzen 9 System with Either Full or Mid-Tower with 128 GB RAM
    • AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    • ASUS X570-E ROG Strix
    • CORSAIR CMV32GX4M1A2666C18 32GB DS x4
    • TUF Gaming GT501 RGB Tempered Glass eATX Mid-Tower Computer Case (looking at price only)
    • Toughpower Grand RGB 650 Watts 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply (worried it’ll be under powered)
    • Radeon RX 5600 XT Windforce Overclocked Dual-Fan 6GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card (looking at price and thinking my game choices are not GPU intensive)
    • 860 EVO 500GB SSD 3-bit MLC V-NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive
    • 970 EVO+ 500GB SSD V-NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive
    • ROG Strix LC 240mm RGB Water Cooling Kit
    • Link for most of the above:

Solution
Hello,

The last time I had made a build was 10 years ago and a lot has changed. I took a crack at using the MicroCenter and NewEgg system builders but have been getting stymied by the GPU and Case selections (not to mention whether I will need water cooling or a bigger PSU). If I need to add more selections for a easier critique, just let me know

Thank you,
Matty Z

-----------

• Scenario 1: Running up to six VMs concurrently to simulate a domain controller, a two node SQL failover cluster, 1-2...
Hello,

Thank you,
Matty Z

-----------

• Scenario 1: Running up to six VMs concurrently to simulate a domain controller, a two node SQL failover cluster, 1-2 availability group secondaries and a file share witness
      • Figure 4 vCore, 16 GB vRAM and 50 GB disk space per SQL guest
    • Scenario 2: Running two VMs concurrently to simulate a domain controller and a data warehouse (figure 64 GB RAM, minimum of 250 GB disk space) with a Power BI server installation.
    • Developer Tools for the Above (Visual Studio, SSMS, Azure Data Studio, Power BI Desktop)
  • Non-FPS Gaming (weekends)
    • Open world type games (The Long Dark)
    • Real-Time and Turn-Based Strategy games (Civ 6, Tropico 6)
    • Roleplaying Genre (Planescape: TON, Wasteland 2)
Are you buying a monitor: Yes
  • Currently have an old-model ViewSonic VX2250
  • Either adding a similar one or going for a widescreen
Do you need to buy OS: Yes
  • Will go with Windows 10 Pro but will leverage MSDN licensing for all the SQL Server, Visual Studio, Power BI components if not using trial/community editions
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing)
  • Newegg.com
  • Amazon.com
  • Microcenter.com
  • Scotch Plains, NJ, USA (one town over from NewEgg in Edison, NJ)
Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to upgrade to Intel CPU)
  • Intel NUC i7 options or AMD Ryzen 9 or AMD Threadripper for CPU
  • Corsair, G.Skill or Crucial for Memory
  • Western Digital, Samsung, SANDisk for storage
  • Open minded on GPU (have used ATI Radeon and nVidia GeForce in the past)
  • Can go with full tower or mid-tower design. Don’t mind spending a touch more for RGB lighting (my 12yo wants to help with the build, maybe get a budget build setup for Christmas)
Overclocking: Maybe
  • Only if viable for the home lab
SLI or Crossfire: No
  • Probably not needed for my gaming preferences
Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x768

Additional Comments:
  • Wondering if I can plug in older HDDs from previous builds to check for files for backup but sending the spindles to be crushed
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:
  • Looking to up my SQL Server skills beyond certs with on-hand experience I can’t get at office
  • Current gaming laptop (ASUS ROG G75IJT with i7-4720HQ quad core and 16 GB RAM), strains running two minimally configured VMs.
Proposed Build Lists So Far
Starting from scratch but looking at two approaches
  • Approach 1: Two Intel NUCs with an entry-level switch to connect, NAS enclosure for purchase later in the year
    • Intel® NUC 10 Performance Kit - NUC10i7FNHC as a foundation with 64 GB RAM, a 2.5” SSD and an M.2 NVe SSD, both at least 500 GB
    • SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4-2666 (M471A4G43MB1-CTD)
    • Kingston SV300S37A 2.5” SSD 500 GB (on Intel validated list but price not appealing)
    • Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500 M.2 SSD
    • Need ideas on the switch for a networking novice like me.
    • Need ideas for the NAS (thinking Synology brand) but also want to know ease of configuration in a virtual SAN role
  • Approach 2: AMD Ryzen 9 System with Either Full or Mid-Tower with 128 GB RAM
    • AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    • ASUS X570-E ROG Strix
    • CORSAIR CMV32GX4M1A2666C18 32GB DS x4
    • TUF Gaming GT501 RGB Tempered Glass eATX Mid-Tower Computer Case (looking at price only)
    • Toughpower Grand RGB 650 Watts 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply (worried it’ll be under powered)
    • Radeon RX 5600 XT Windforce Overclocked Dual-Fan 6GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card (looking at price and thinking my game choices are not GPU intensive)
    • 860 EVO 500GB SSD 3-bit MLC V-NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive
    • 970 EVO+ 500GB SSD V-NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive
    • ROG Strix LC 240mm RGB Water Cooling Kit
    • Link for most of the above:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($416.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 3 CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($269.00 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($469.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($259.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB THICC III Ultra 2 Video Card ($409.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($138.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($142.88 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $2471.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-15 12:15 EDT-0400

Solution

MattyZDBA

Commendable
Jun 15, 2020
Jeremy,

Thank you for the build list. I was able to order most of them, save the CPU Cooler and PSU due to lack of availability. My substitutions are below. I look forward to the build process and hope to do it by July 4th

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler ($54.40 @ B&H)
Power Supply: *EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($239.99 @ Amazon)

Jeremy,

Thank you for the build list. I was able to order most of them, save the CPU Cooler and PSU due to lack of availability. My substitutions are below. I look forward to the build process and hope to do it by July 4th

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler ($54.40 @ B&H)
Power Supply: *EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($239.99 @ Amazon)
The EVGA P2 is a good PSU.
The Pure Rock 2 is more lateral move than upgrade from the Wraith Prism. The Wraith Prism is a 125-140W TDP cooler and the Pure Rock 2 is a 150W TDP cooler. Both will work for a 3900X, but the CPU will be a bit hotter and the coolers will be running harder. Are you able to get an Arctic eSports Duo instead?