Home media center, with touchscreen for kitchen

eimkeith

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
I'm wanting to put together a home media system primarily so my wife can access/play music in the kitchen.

We currently run iTunes on a desktop in the office, and PS3/TV in the living room. I'd love to get the music library off of my desktop and create a situation where it could be accessed from any of the 3 rooms - kitchen via a touch screen, office via my desktop, and living room via the TV/PS3.

I'd also want ot be able to stream LastFm through this, if possible.

I have my cable modem and wired and wireless routers in a small built in cabinet in a central location in the home. I'm fine with running CAT5 to the individual room to make this a possibility, if needed.

I'd love to have the audio out located in the media server and have some way of selecting which room/speakers to send the signal to, but I'm not sure if that is the best way to do this. Ideally the speakers would be mounted up and out of the way in the kitchen (difficult to access)

Any ideas/suggestions? Is what I am proposing even reasonable?

Here's one way of doing it:

Get a NAS, load it full of your files and connect it to your router so you can access those files over all those different platforms. The PS3 might take some tweaking but it should be possible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108114

That one seems relatively cheap and has a good reputation. Obviously you need to put a drive in it. The WD Red series is designed for 24/7 use.

Then it would just be a matter of building a touchscreen (preferably Windows 8 based) PC in the kitchen and connecting everything to the router.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with the speakers but surely each room will have its own speakers anyway so you could just connect them to whichever device is in there and play it normally?

EDIT: Here's a good case in case you decide to build the kitchen PC. Put an i3-3225/8GB RAM and a SSD in it and it should be great.

Cliffstreet

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Have you looked at Sonos? it runs on your pc and streams from a box plugged into your router. You can stream to speakers throughout your house either from your music library or aps like tune in, pandora etc. It is expensive but very functional. My wife has her Ipad on the kitchen counter and we listen to music more than we ever have before.
There are free apps to control the system with any android, or apple device. Really a cool system. You can stream different music to each speaker. They offer three speakers, Sound bar for TV, large ( Play 5) and Small (Play 3). Just plug the speaker in add it to your system and your ready to go.