Jan 6, 2021
I have been a front-end developer / UI-UX developer for approx 15 years. Over the years I have lost countless projects / designs that would be very, very valuable in my portfolio (and I am now currently looking for a new job) lost to new pc builds, discarded / lost / failed harddrives or not having a good backup policy.
About four months ago I started looking into a DIY NAS build as the harddrives on my pc started to fill and the two external drives I use started showing warning signals on monitoring software. When I started I was only thinking NAS and had planned on using a RAID PCe hardware card.
Between then and when I started ording my hardware, I have decided I want a home server / lab that I can run and test my projects (web server / virtualization), file server and NAS. My hardware has either alreadz arrived or is on it's way and I'm now concerned that my hardware my be under powered for what I want to do.
The main advice I'm looking for is: What server / os and app setup do I need for my goals:

• NAS / RAID setup (I would like to run RAID 10)
  • File / media sharing (Plex)
  • Server (web server, database server, virtualization and/or container)

This is my hardware:

• Motherboard: ASRock H370M-ITX/ac (the mobo and intel H370 chipset have built-in RAID functionality)
  • CPU: Intel Core i3-8350K
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2400 2x16gb (32gb) non-ECC
  • Boot Drive: WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2
  • HDD's: 4 x Toshiba NAS 4TB
  • Case: Fractal Node 304

I am currently leaning towards Ubuntu Server with a mix of VM/Docker and built in RAID functionality of Ubunto/Mobo/chipset. Your recommendations are much appreciated. I realize I may want to do too much with the hardware I have, which will mean I will either have to scale back my goals or upgrade the hardware I've already ordered.

Jan 6, 2021
I was aware of the SMR issue and it is one of the reasons I chose the Toshiba N300:

That and price / performance value