Home network help needed, adding a switch to a cable modem and adding 2 WiFi routers

1phrog

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018
I have a cable modem and an Orbi in the house...

I have ran a Cat6a shielded cable to the garage about 180 ft away.

What I need to do is put another WiFi router in the garage.

If a add a switch to the cable modem and attach both the orbi and another WiFi router to the switch.. will both WiFi Routers work without any craziness?

Craziness as in assigning IP, Mac and things like that, that I have no clue about.

kanewolf

Titan
If you really have a modem (a single ethernet LAN port) then you have to have a primary router connected to it. You can't have a switch and two routers. Only one of them will get an IP address.
You have to have this order: modem -> router -> switch (optional) -> devices. If the orbi has multiple LAN ports then you can connect the garage to it and run the router in the garage as an access point.

1phrog

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018

1phrog

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018

If I’m getting this correct...

From the cable modem, I use the LAN to the Orbi WAN... then attach the Cat6a that runs to the garage ( from an open port from Orbi router #1) correct? where do I attach the Cat6a to (let’s say another Orbi #2) WAN port?

If this is correct .... is there any config that needs to be changed? Each Orbi with be set up with separate login and password.

1phrog

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018

If I’m getting this correct...

From the cable modem, I use the LAN to the Orbi WAN... then attach the Cat6a that runs to the garage ( from an open port from Orbi router #1) correct? where do I attach the Cat6a to (let’s say another Orbi #2) WAN port?

If this is correct .... is there any config that needs to be changed? Each Orbi with be set up with separate login and password.

1phrog

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018

Thanks for the help..

Setting the Orbi is the part I know... it’s trying the get a second system running in the garage from the cable modem, through the Orbi #1. Do you know if I’m going to have to do any config adjusting?

I will not be adding a satalite, but another Orbi WiFi router in the garage .... not sure if that will make an issue with config.