Question Home Network Help

Aug 12, 2022
Hello. I am a homeowner and I’m trying to get the Ethernet ports in all of my rooms working. They do not work in any rooms of the house. I have included a picture of the panel. I am assuming the issue is that there isn’t anything in the “service in” port. There is an Ethernet cord that is running straight to my ATT modem/router from outside. I have tried running a cord from my modem directly to the service in port but that didn’t seem to help. Any idea what the issue is? Panel Picture

kanewolf

Titan
Hello. I am a homeowner and I’m trying to get the Ethernet ports in all of my rooms working. They do not work in any rooms of the house. I have included a picture of the panel. I am assuming the issue is that there isn’t anything in the “service in” port. There is an Ethernet cord that is running straight to my ATT modem/router from outside. I have tried running a cord from my modem directly to the service in port but that didn’t seem to help. Any idea what the issue is? Panel Picture
The reason they don't work for ethernet is printed on the black unit that all the cables run into. "Phone". They are not configured for data right now.
You have to buy an ethernet switch to connect them into. I would also recommend a simple cable tester if you are dealing with in-wall wiring. Something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM

Aug 12, 2022
I appreciate your response! I apprologize for my limited knowledge. If I am understanding correctly, since the builder already ran Cat5E cables to each room, I can purchase an ethernet switch like this one:Ethernet Switch. I would connect the switch directly to my modem and then I would then remove the cables from the panel and add them directly into the switch, correct?

I appreciate your response! I apprologize for my limited knowledge. If I am understanding correctly, since the builder already ran Cat5E cables to each room, I can purchase an ethernet switch like this one:Ethernet Switch. I would connect the switch directly to my modem and then I would then remove the cables from the panel and add them directly into the switch, correct?

You have about 9 cables there, so I would buy a 10 port or more switch, but yes. That's all you need for hardware to replace that telephone switch box. Then all you need to do is plug your router into the switch, along with all those green wires.

The problem is, you don't know if the builder crimped the ends on to match the 568A or B ethernet pinout. I would test to see if they did crimp it for ethernet, or if they crimped it in a proprietary manner for phone.

You can try disconnecting one of those green wires and plug it into the modem. Then figure out which room that goes to and plug in a laptop to see if internet works. If that works, then they likely did crimp those ends for ethernet.

kanewolf

Titan
You have to have a router somewhere. The required flow is ISP -> modem -> router -> switch -> cables -> rooms.
The modem and router can be a single unit. But you have to have a router in addition to a switch. The switch just provides enough ports.