Question Home network issue

zboy02043

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Router: Netgear Nighthawk R7000
Modem: Netgear CM1000V2
ISP: Comcast Xfinity, i'm using their gigabit plan
I have 3 devices plugged into the router via ethernet, my home computer, my work computer and my tv
I have anywhere from 10 to 15 devices on my wireless network at any given time

I'm having a weird issue that I'm kind of stumped about how to even begin. For a while i've been noticing outages that seemed to be specifically triggered when i was using a particular app (funimation) on my TV. It will play for a few minutes and then the whole home network goes down. I've noticed that app performs poorly so I was wondering if maybe it was just something to do with that, but I recently started working from home, and we've been needing to use zoom a lot. I've now had the same type of issue twice during a call, except the call doesn't end. I can't load new web pages, or access any devices connected to my home network, I get connected with no internet errors, however like i said, the zoom call continues until i hang up to restart my modem/router. edit: the problem has consistently been resolved by restarting the modem/router, but it's been a frequent enough issue now that I would really like to keep it from happening in the first place!

Any advice on where to start troubleshooting this would be much appreciated.

We really need to narrow down the culprit, which could be either the modem or router.

Next time this happens, you should try and ping the router and modem to see which one is losing communications.

If you know how to log into your router's WebUI, it would be good to see if you can log into it as well. Log into the router webUI and the modem webUI.

Then try just resetting your modem next time to see if the internet comes back. If that doesn't work, try resetting your router after the modem is fully booted up.

However, I suspect you are having the same exact issue as this reddit post with your modem: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/comments/ibub69/netgear_cm1000v2_wrong_firmware_version_supplied/
I haven't been happy with Netgear's firmware team in the last few years. Personally I only trust Motorola Modems at the moment. My MB8600 has been rock solid with comcast's gigabit plan.

zboy02043

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
We really need to narrow down the culprit, which could be either the modem or router.

Next time this happens, you should try and ping the router and modem to see which one is losing communications.

If you know how to log into your router's WebUI, it would be good to see if you can log into it as well. Log into the router webUI and the modem webUI.

Then try just resetting your modem next time to see if the internet comes back. If that doesn't work, try resetting your router after the modem is fully booted up.

However, I suspect you are having the same exact issue as this reddit post with your modem: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/comments/ibub69/netgear_cm1000v2_wrong_firmware_version_supplied/
I haven't been happy with Netgear's firmware team in the last few years. Personally I only trust Motorola Modems at the moment. My MB8600 has been rock solid with comcast's gigabit plan.

I've had this issue enough times that I've had the chance to try restarting all the individual components one at a time, the problem doesn't resolve unless I restart both the modem and router. My top suspect so far is the modem but I don't know enough about it to figure it out.

however according to the netgear KB that was in that other post the current comcast firmware should be V7.01.01, which is the one i have running.

Hardware Version2.02
Firmware VersionV7.01.01