Home Network - Modem, Router, Switch

sacksyboy

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Hi,

I am having problems setting up my home network. Moved into a new house and ran CAT6 throughout the house, all lading to a patch panel in the basement. Patch panel connects to 24 port switch (unmanaged). I have cable connected to the modem, ethernet from modem to Netgear WNDR3700 Router, Ethernet from router to switch.

When I do this, i do not get the default 192.168.1.1 from my router...but I do have an internet connection (wired). When I connect the router directly to the switch and the modem directly to the switch I get no internet but my default router IP is back.

Both these options are problems and I need help. I have two computers, VOIP and a media player I need to work through the network as well as the wireless on the router working.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Bit confusing about what you are talking about here. Are you saying the router does not give a DHCP address to the computers? The 192.168.1.1 should be the router address, not the computers attached to it. What do you mean you have an internet connection? You can get online? Are you having an issue with only wireless, wired, both? Don't get what you are talking about the default router IP is back. You don't want both the modem and the router on the switch, they both will be trying to assign IP addresses to the network, creating a mess.

sacksyboy

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Well...I figured it out after many, many hours.

The cable modem only has one address to assign, so only one computer on the network was working. Once I reset the modem and connected it to the router using the WAN port, the router was assigning addresses, the default router IP was working and so was the internet.

It was a real d'oh moment.

Thanks.

Sounded like this was how you had it setup before you tried to connect both router and mode to the switch. Or did you connect the modem to a regular LAN port on the router and not the WAN?

sacksyboy

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

Yes, it was...but I failed to cycle the modem. Once I did that everything worked.

TRENDING THREADS