Question Home Network - Multiple Access Points

Jun 26, 2021
I have two ASUS routers - a 2900 and 3200. The 2900 router is operating in a "wireless router" mode and directly connected with my surfboard modem. I then take a Cat5 cable from this router to a downstream access point - the asus 3200 series device. I have set the second router to operate in "wireless access mode". The reason I have my network configured this way in order to extend my wireless network to the other side of the house and improve reception and then to also be able to hardwire in a number of devices on that side of the house. Is this the correct configuration for each of the routers - router 1 -2900 in its default state operating in wireless router mode and router 2 - 3200 - operating in "wireless access point mode"?

Second question (assuming the first is correct) - when I changed the 2nd router to wireless access point mode - I am now unable to login in to the router to upgrade firmware and check the state of the device. Every time I go to http://router.asus.com it takes me to router #1 - and I want to log in to router #2. I'm going to guess that there is an easy way to find the IP address for router #2 - enter it into a browser - and access it that way to enter the right credentials to check the device?

Unless you changed the IP of router 2 it is likely the same default IP. In addition to not being able to access it having a duplicate IP address can cause you issues in a network.

You need to unplug the AP router from your network and change the lan IP to something that does not conflict and then reconnect it to the network. You need to change it to something outside the scope of the DHCP server on the main router. I forget what the default range is for asus but in general you can use x.x.x.250 because the router assigns from the lower number first but it is best to check the dhcp range so there is never a possibility that the main router would ever assign the same IP.

Jun 26, 2021
Ok, so I found the IP of router 2 from the device map from Router 1. IP is 192.168.50.104. I logged into router 2 and update the firmware and made sure it was set in "AP mode" - I assume this just means its letting Router 1 hand out IP addresses. Given the IP address of 192.168.50.104 will this still cause IP address conflicts?

Jun 26, 2021
That is surprising that router accepted a IP from another router when it is running in AP mode. If the main router gave the IP to second router via dhcp then you will not have conflicts
I was surprised as well but I think it has something to do with the preconfigured modes of operation (and that they are both ASUS routers) - so for Router 1 - its in Wireless Router mode (handing out IP address) and Router 2 in Access Point Mode. Dunno, hence why I posted here as I'm a hardware guy definitely not a network person.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS