Question Home Network Troubleshooting

Jun 24, 2019
Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my question. I live in a town home and there is a Levition Telephone Expansion with cat5 cable running throughout my home. I tested all the connections, however I cannot get an internet signal to transmit over this network. Is this because the Leviton expansion is not suited for transmitting internet? When I test the connection using my Ideal VDV II it says all 8 wires are communicating. I've also tested connecting directly to the modem which works. Any and all help is appreciated.

The short answer is all you will be able to keep is the wire everything else must go because telephone uses very different physical connections.

Your cable is likely cat5e and not cat5 so it will run gigabit but it doesn't really matter since it is all you have.

What you want to do is replace all the wall jacks with rj45 keystones...I assume they are rj11 if they are telephone. In the central panel you want to replace the punch down with one designed for ethernet. It will in effect give you a rj45 plug on the central end for each remote connection.

So now that the house is correct for data you use switch and connect all the ports the switch and connect the switch to a router. You can also connect them to the router if you do not need all the ports active.

kanewolf

Titan
I live in a town home and there is a Levition Telephone Expansion with cat5 cable running throughout my home.
The Leviton device is a passibe backplane for telepone. Ethernet requires an active switch in place of the Leviton device. Removing the cabling from the Leviton and terminating with RJ45 and plugging into a switch is what is required for ethernet connectivity.

Jun 24, 2019
Thanks everyone! I think removing the backplane for telephone and replacing it with a TP-Link eithernet switch will hopefully solve the issue. I appreciate everyone contributing their thoughts and I'll let you know when I have it solved.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks everyone! I think removing the backplane for telephone and replacing it with a TP-Link eithernet switch will hopefully solve the issue. I appreciate everyone contributing their thoughts and I'll let you know when I have it solved.
You will need to get that switch (preferably a gigabit switch) connected back to a LAN port on your router to get internet to the ports.

Jun 24, 2019
You will need to get that switch (preferably a gigabit switch) connected back to a LAN port on your router to get internet to the ports.
Thanks Kanewolf. Do you think I would have an issue if I connect from a LAN port to a port in the wall to the switch then to the rest of the cables? Or does the connection from the LAN port need to go directly to the switch?